Who owns a sea hare?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone in this forum keep a sea hare either as a pet or as part of their CUC?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive had more than one, both dollabella - best algae eater and blue dot. When algae was completely gone, I rehomed and blue dot traded back to LFS

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had more than one, both dollabella - best algae eater and blue dot. When algae was completely gone, I rehomed and blue dot traded back to LFS
Thank you for the feedback. I bought 2 this week, but they aren’t eating my hair algae nor the nori I offered. I bought them 4 days apart because I thought the first one was an odd case.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it for?

What do you feed it?
10 months. I have an algae problem so he eats that. Dudes grown a lot. Once a week I will leave a clip of nori in the sand bed in front of him. He devours the nori. Dude eats anything green I swear! Love him, his name is Frank!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback. I bought 2 this week, but they aren’t eating my hair algae nor the nori I offered. I bought them 4 days apart because I thought the first one was an odd case.
Are you sure they are not eating? Best way to tell if they are eating is to see if they poop. They poop like once a minute or something, it’s a lot! Maybe they just haven’t found the algae yet

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 months. I have an algae problem so he eats that. Dudes grown a lot. Once a week I will leave a clip of nori in the sand bed in front of him. He devours the nori. Dude eats anything green I swear! Love him, his name is Frank!
Thank you.

Can you tell me exactly what nori you offered?

I’m thinking my sea hares might be too malnourished to eat the hair algae. I want to get them fed with something in case they haven’t eaten at the LFS. I’m offering a nori that looks red in color.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they are not eating? Best way to tell if they are eating is to see if they poop. They poop like once a minute or something, it’s a lot! Maybe they just haven’t found the algae yet
Once a minute??? I’ve only ever seen them poop when I added them to the tank. I don’t recall seeing them poop after that.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude eats anything green I swear!
Are they nocturnal eaters? Do you offer the food with the lights out? I appreciate you answering my questions. I want to be successful with the sea hare(s).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dolabella from California is the best for algae. If derbesia or bryopsis, they wont touch it

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dolabella from California is the best for algae. If derbesia or bryopsis, they wont touch it
This is what it looks like (on the back wall).

IMG_8009.jpeg
IMG_8010.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is what it looks like (on the back wall).

IMG_8009.jpeg
IMG_8010.jpeg
What a group of Chromis !! The sea hare seems to be going to work and a good sign on the glass versus the corner or along top rim often a sign of insufficient food source

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a minute??? I’ve only ever seen them poop when I added them to the tank. I don’t recall seeing them poop after that.
Yeah, I swear they poop like once submitted if you watch them because I was curious, I kind of timed it but I just feed them Nori that is sushi grade and I get it off of Amazon. It’s more green and color.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you are prepared both emotionally and physically. The average life span of a sea hare is 1 year. Not trying to be bummer, but I don't want you to blow up your tank.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had this guy very long and I will give him back to the LFS soon. My tank turned into a produce stand after I eliminated invasive sponge so I added him mostly for the interest. I have kept them many times but always give them back when I get tired of looking at them or have nothing to feed them.

I rarely see him even though he is about 5" long. He cleans 5" X 5" swaths of encrusting algae mostly at night.

He is eating the short algae on the side glass here.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's the algae you are concerned about, in crevices in the rock?
I guess I’m just more proactive than many reefers. I don’t like waiting for problems to become unmanageable.

The hair algae patches are across the entire tank, and they are growing by each day.

IMG_7985.jpeg
IMG_7984.jpeg
IMG_7983.jpeg

It seems the hair algae started after rehoming my yellow tang. I wanted to have the sea hare and supplement feedings with nori.

Anyway, I’m going to return both back to my LFS

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you are prepared both emotionally and physically. The average life span of a sea hare is 1 year. Not trying to be bummer, but I don't want you to blow up your tank.
Yeah I had one in my other tank and he died and I got him out with no issue :( I wish they lived longer!

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. Mine doesn’t touch it. This is at its peak I have since 75% tamed it with a bit with manual labor and fluconazole. Dude would just slide right over it. You can see him there… not eating it. Even with nutrients under control it’s relentless.

If I would give it 3-4 days of not scrubbing/sucking it out the algae would come back something fierce. Tried natural remedies and finally gave in to the fluconazole so far around a week in it’s the best I’ve gotten the tank to look in months. If all the rock weren’t glued together I would take them out and h2o2 them

Attachments

• IMG_5606.jpeg
    IMG_5606.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 43

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back