Add another fish?

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Currently I am battling 0 nutrients in my reef tank. I was wondering if i could get away with adding more fish in order to increase my bio load. So far no one is fighting and id like to keep it that way. So far my inhabitants are a yellow watchman goby, a one-spot fox-face, a royal grama baslette, red fire-fish, black saddle Toby, and a snowflake eel. I also have a starry bleny and a baby harliquin tusk but they are getting moved to a new tank soon. This is in a 75 gallon display. Obviously filtration is not an issue. I am worried about territory though. Should I get more fish. If i can any suggestions? I am a sucker for odd balls. Thank you! (I apologize in advanced for any butchered spelling)

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend McCosckers Flasher Wrasse! They are bright, reef safe, peaceful, what else can you ask for.

OP
OP
BigRed78

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of wrasse species like to burrow in the sand bed. This wouldn't cause issue with the current inhabitants right?

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Currently I am battling 0 nutrients in my reef tank. I was wondering if i could get away with adding more fish in order to increase my bio load. So far no one is fighting and id like to keep it that way. So far my inhabitants are a yellow watchman goby, a one-spot fox-face, a royal grama baslette, red fire-fish, black saddle Toby, and a snowflake eel. I also have a starry bleny and a baby harliquin tusk but they are getting moved to a new tank soon. This is in a 75 gallon display. Obviously filtration is not an issue. I am worried about territory though. Should I get more fish. If i can any suggestions? I am a sucker for odd balls. Thank you! (I apologize in advanced for any butchered spelling)
The one spot may eventually outgrow that tank, they get decently large but are a very wide fish.

Either way I think you can add another, perhaps multiple. If you have sand I highly recommend a burying wrasse (halichoeres or macropharyngodon genus). Starcki damsels fit the oddball requirement as well, mine is very cool. Some clowns actually would fit, like a pair of long fins. A jawfish could be cool. A hawkfish could be cool. Midas blenny. Assessor basslet. Engineer goby. Some cool options here.

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of wrasse species like to burrow in the sand bed. This wouldn't cause issue with the current inhabitants right?
The mccoskers he mentioned does not bury, the others I mentioned do, either way they should be quite peaceful depending on the species. H. chrysus or m. ornatus are usually hardy, easy to find, and more docile than some others like h. melanurus. If you want to spend more money I recommend h. iridis or h. melasmopomus.

OP
OP
BigRed78

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one spot may eventually outgrow that tank, they get decently large but are a very wide fish.

Either way I think you can add another, perhaps multiple. If you have sand I highly recommend a burying wrasse (halichoeres or macropharyngodon genus). Starcki damsels fit the oddball requirement as well, mine is very cool. Some clowns actually would fit, like a pair of long fins. A jawfish could be cool. A hawkfish could be cool. Midas blenny. Assessor basslet. Engineer goby. Some cool options here.
I did have an engineer goby in the tank. I had it for a year and grew it out from an inch or two long. Unfortunately it died of some bacterial infection. I would defiantly love to keep another. I did originally have two clown fish in the tank but they were very mean! I had two ocelarous. They attacked other fish and ripped off my arm hair whenever I put my arm in the tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.9%
Back