Add carbon in a bag?

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some BRS Carbon and a bag. When should I use it? I have a Waterbox MP 25 (21 gallons of water), it's almost 4 months old and just added a few corals. Only 1 fish (clown).

Wondering if I should add it for any stress the corals have and perhaps releasing toxins....

Thank you in advance!

-Gaspare

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be used a few different ways. Great for general water stain removal to prevent yellowing (put some tank water in a white container - see if it's clear or tinged yellow. It's also good for toxin/impurity removal (I run a small amount all the time mainly for this as I have softies that emit toxins). Also great after medical treatments to remove them.

It won't hurt to run at any time as long as your not overdoing it. Good insurance policy on toxins. BRS has calculator for carbons they sell. For example ROX 0.8 in 25 gallons is 2 tablespoons and swap it out every 2 weeks.

eddiegee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a vid on youtube from an experienced reefer noting that carbon in a tank shouldn’t be used unless you’re trying to fight off disease. Basically he explained that you’re not only removing bad bacteria but good too.

This dude has a pretty good video lineup with tons of info.

Last edited:

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn't mention that carbon directly fights diseases but as medication removal. I'm not aware of carbon to directly fight any diseases. If so, would like to see the basis for it.

Activated carbon removes organics from the water column; phenols (how often do you get to use that word), proteins, acids, and other organic molecules produced by the livestock. Similar to and normally used in conjunction with skimmers. Nitrate/phosphate and alkalinity/calcium are not affected. The pathogens are simply not absorbed due to the mechanism of how carbon works (not a chemist here).

There could be a case that these organics could aid in some bacteria/disease spread but in my mind that's even more of a case to use as a prevention and not as a treatment.

Of note, GAC hasn't been found to remove excessive amounts of trace minerals (in my case, based on my last ICP testing and running carbon from day one - my trace elements are just fine). Lastly the nitrifying bacteria on carbon media will exist but should be minimal and not impact tank by removing. Everyone cleans/replace sponges/filters all the time with no effect.

Last edited:

eddiegee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn't mention that carbon directly fights diseases but as medication removal. I'm not aware of carbon to directly fight any diseases. If so, would like to see the basis for it.

Activated carbon removes organics from the water column; phenols (how often do you get to use that word), proteins, acids, and other organic molecules produced by the livestock. Similar to and normally used in conjunction with skimmers. Nitrate/phosphate and alkalinity/calcium are not affected. The pathogens are simply not absorbed due to the mechanism of how carbon works (not a chemist here).

There could be a case that these organics could aid in some bacteria/disease spread but in my mind that's even more of a case to use as a prevention and not as a treatment.

Of note, GAC hasn't been found to remove excessive amounts of trace minerals (in my case, based on my last ICP testing and running carbon from day one - my trace elements are just fine). Lastly the nitrifying bacteria on carbon media will exist but should be minimal and not impact tank by removing. Everyone cleans/replace sponges/filters all the time with no effect.

My bad…he does mention carbon is used is you have a water quality issue to address not “disease”.

At around 4:15 he goes into a deep explanation of carbon being used in reef tanks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back