Add me to the AEFW stats.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap. So for a little while now a few of my acros been looking weird. Well tonight after inspecting with a flashlight I can definitely say I have AEFW.

Don't worry bill its not from your frag. I was seeing vague signs of them before I got your frag.

I'm actually thinking back to see where I could of gotten it from but can't remember.

Anyhoo I'll start researching when I goto work but if you guys can post up some links I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

fishdoc11

It's a hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of links from RC if you want me to post them. Basically there are lots of ways to treat for them. In the veterinary world that means there are no good proven ways to treat...or none of the treatments always work. Don't know how big your colonies are and what you are trying to save but a treatment that works involves removing and treating all of your Acros for at least 6 weeks with levamisole dips or other things such as TMPCC. In my case several years ago it meant loosing all my sps and starting over with well dipped frags with no bases, ie freshly cut. IME adding an SPS that is mounted is stupid because it gives so many places for the eggs to hide, adding an sps that isn't well dipped and/or QT'd is absolutely slow tank suicide. LMK if I can help. They are a PITA to deal with.
hth, Chris

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Hate to hear that buddy. I ALWAYS DIP each and every coral. Even from known clean tanks.

Pecked out on my Android tablet

joker295

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea aefw sucks.. i had that problem and now dip religiously .... revive works wonders

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I dipped everything also. But I guess I halfassed it. Gotta be more diligent. In the future.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question do they also eat:
Milli's
Encrusting monti's
Monti Caps
Digi's

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im researching these bugs cause 4 years ago I had a problem with them and lost allmy acro. I didn't have alot. So does the coral Rx kill the eggs? If not is the best option to quarantine all corol 15 days just in case u miss the eggs. I know some people break out their magnifying glasses. I'm no inspector gadget. I just want the best option. Are birdnest effected?

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im researching these bugs cause 4 years ago I had a problem with them and lost allmy acro. I didn't have alot. So does the coral Rx kill the eggs? If not is the best option to quarantine all corol 15 days just in case u miss the eggs. I know some people break out their magnifying glasses. I'm no inspector gadget. I just want the best option. Are birdnest effected?

None of the dips kill the Eggs, You must remove them or wait until they hatch to kill the flatworm itself, And as far as I'm aware this takes 5 weeks for them to be through their life cycle not 15 day's.
In the end the best thing i found was Levamisol and removing all colonies and tossing the rock and base of any affected coral, This cost me a lot of coral but what's left is now healthy again and so far bug free!!!
Bill

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks bud. I also had to romove all the rock but lucky I was moveing in to a new tank. Best thing that helps is dip all acro in your tank. For 5-8 weeks and best when the lights are off for at less 3hrs. Aefw come out at night to feed.
Good luck

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharng that. I have not bought any new acros after I had a breakout of AEFW. I basically tossed all my acros keeping only the very tips and starting over.

I've had really good success with Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer. $8 for a big spray bottle and will probably last a very long time. Used it to dip several sticks and have removed AEFW from them. The last several dips showed no signs of those pesky bugs. Check it out
let me know if you have questions
DIY Coral Dip (Kills AEFW, Montibranch's, Red Bugs and all other know pests) - YouTube

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh... my head hurts. (reading since 6 this morning)

not going the bayer route.. gonna use coralrx and dip once a week for 8-12 weeks (should i dip more often?)
ordered a yellow wrasse from AC

luckily my acros except for a scoli haven't encrusted onto the rocks being that the tank is only 6months old.. but some are indeed top heavy..

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does the rock need to be thrown out? If u cook the rock again for a couple months. Would that be good.

Last edited:

joker295

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didnt throw my rock out when i got afew.. just dipped all my acro for 4 months every week in revive

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me be Clear, When i say i tossed the Rock it was into a Bucket of Bleach to be cleaned and reused! I just swapped the rock for other pieces that were not being used.
Bill:bigsmile:

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dipping.

And holy crap. It'z nutz!!!

1st batch was 6 small mini colonies and aefw was just falling off them.

I think I've found ground zero. A tryee tri color it had a bunch of eggs on it.

Taking a smoke break now. Then back to more.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wasn't lying when they say if you see one there are tons more.
Geeze

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back