Add me to the AEFW stats.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you had multiple pests - which would be highly probable due to the fact that you have AEFW. Or something else was going on. The few people in this thread are the first that I've ever heard of them consuming anything but acros.

Parameters are perfect and I treated for Red Bugs and did the whole 5 week Levamisol regimen along with dipping and Egg hunting. Plus I finally just tossed any coral that was not 100% healthy. I have been in this hobby for 30 years and never before had any issues with these pests, And IMO the Whole Supply chain from Collectors to wholesallers and any seller that does not QT before selling to the public just adds to this problem.
And Constant dipping is not a path the Coral can stand for very long as it will degrade it's ability to kill these bugs due to constand exposure to these treatments and the bugs become imune IMO
Bill

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you had multiple pests - which would be highly probable due to the fact that you have AEFW. Or something else was going on. The few people in this thread are the first that I've ever heard of them consuming anything but acros.
I agree. AEFW are just that; ACROPORA eating flat worms. I wouldn't doubt if you had a bunch of red/brown planaria residing on your montis and other corals. They are famous for hosting many types of montipora, feeding on the "slime" the coral emits.

Last edited:

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a funny story.. i fed my cat this evening... my dog ate it!!! how can that be????? the bag is clearly marked CAT food..

Last edited:

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. AEFW are just that; ACROPORA eating flat worms. I wouldn't doubt if you had a bunch of red/brown planaria residing on your montis and other corals. They are famous for hosting many types of montipora, feeding on the "slime" the coral emits.

I do know the difference, And they are not Red Planeria and the thousands of Eggs that were on the underside of them was no mistake. It's odd that people that have not even seen any of this are so adaiment they know what is right and what is not. Especially with a 35X Microscope to ID these Buggers for Sure...
Bill

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns. I'm dipping again Sunday. I'll see if the others have any.

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns. I'm dipping again Sunday. I'll see if the others have any.

read read read.... and good luck ;)
call me sometime soon... i wanna talk to ya bout something.

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will eat anything that has a hard base! All those montis we got and all the frags i bought from bill, huge purple cap i got from rhett, huge birdsnest colony....those *******s really demolished my tank! i just started throwing out anything that had any sign of dead spots on them colony or frag. it has been pretty depressing and it all happened so fast out of nowhere about the same time bill started dosing his tank is when mine started getting really bad. i think i have gotten it under control but am only left with a couple of pieces so ill be starting over pretty much. sucks bad!! from now on if i put sps in my tank they will be cut off of whatever it comes on and dipped vigorously! if it doesnt survive the dip it didnt need to be in the tank anyway. people have them and dont even know it until its too late all it takes is one little egg.

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant even imagine how Bill feels with all the stuff he threw out! His tank was loaded to the gills with colonies! did any of your montis get munched on Bill?

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol....guess only cats are supposed to eat cat food! like the aefw are only supposed to munch on acros....go figure...guess if the *******s get curious or hungry theyll eat whatevers in the way! And most of your stuff and Bills was observed under your micrscope right?
heres a funny story.. i fed my cat this evening... my dog ate it!!! how can that be????? the bag is clearly marked CAT food..

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea... I mean... I'm no marine biologist, but I know by seeing... The identity of what is most commonly described as AEFW. and examined under a lab grade microscope each and every one of over 200 colonies and frags as they died... Did AEFW kill them? I don't know... What I do know is AEFW were on each and every one.. All sps... I did have a dozen or so colonies of lps... All survived... So based on my experience... The name for ignorance of these little guys should have been NLPSEFW (non-lps eating flatworms) ;)
It might save the life of some poor unsuspecting monti's caps birdsnest digi's etc which lots of people assume are safe from the more misguided title of AEFW

Im beating a dead horse here... Just want you all to maybe research more... Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

It's all about preserving the inhabitants of our little glass boxes.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant even imagine how Bill feels with all the stuff he threw out! His tank was loaded to the gills with colonies! did any of your montis get munched on Bill?

Sure Did, the only one's that survived were Orange and Olive W/Purple Rim and that is because i fragged them and tossed the colony along with the base and Eggs.
My tank is down to about 1/2 of what I did have and I lost some real nice wild pieces and lots of LE stuff that is not replacable, Sad!
Bill:cry:

fishdoc11

It's a hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read there are over 3000 types of coral eating flatworms. Maybe (or it sounds like for sure if you didn't see monti eating nudis) you guys had some that ate Montis and acros. I know the ones I had and the ones that have been reported most often just eat Acros. Lots of pests out there that we probably don't even know about...all the more reason to be very careful:)

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's eating your coral it doesn't even matter what type of flatworm it is, you need to kill it! And killing methods will all be the same, until they are not. Knowing the genus species suborder etc doesn't help when there are only certain products available to kill them anyway.

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read there are over 3000 types of coral eating flatworms. Maybe (or it sounds like for sure if you didn't see monti eating nudis) you guys had some that ate Montis and acros. I know the ones I had and the ones that have been reported most often just eat Acros. Lots of pests out there that we probably don't even know about...all the more reason to be very careful:)

exactly right... the sad truth is... from tons and tons of reading... i dont believe we really know that much about the ones we think we do :)

most conclusions of these types of pests is "two many organisms present to conclude which ones are causing the problem and which ones are opportunists"

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd round of dipping in progress. Don't really see anything falling off.

Also dipped my monti's and nothing in them either. But that doesn't mean they don't eat them they probably do. I just didn't find any on mine.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't find anything on the birdsnest and digi's.
Of course I'm using my naked eye.
Now compared to the amount of aefw that came off the millis and acros on the 1st dip it seems that either they haven't gotten to the birdsnest monti's or digi's or they don't like them.
but don't take this as bible you should still dip them just incase.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so just finished my 3rd dipping. I skipped a week because on the 2nd dipping I didn't see any eggs or bite marks, to see if there were any aefw left the would grow and be easier seen for the 3rd dipping.

But I didn't find anything. No aefw or eggs.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back