Add me to the AEFW stats.

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They loved tri-colors, millepora and prostrates in my tank. The strange thing though is, some colonies never had anything on them.

It seems like it will never end, but just take a deep breath and things will be alright.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that bad. I think I caught it early. I was being lazy but I'm happy I started treatment.

So 3hrs after I'm done. Didn't do the digi's encrusting monties and monti caps. Unless someone knows they go after these.

WARNING:
Guys you really can't see these buggers. While the coral is in the tank. It's crazy. So if you actually do see one take action don't be lazy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kewl. I dipped all my acros and millies last night.

The ones that had the most were the tryee tri color and ora red planet.
And it's funny because all the threads I've been reading make me think that the tri color are aefw magnets.

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chime in... AEFW myth: they do not effect monti's:
In my experience, they did... Actually my monti's both encrusting and caps were some of the first indicators of AEFW infestation. They showed no discrimination of acros monti's millis efflos or digi's, however I did not find them on lps or softies

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chime in... AEFW myth: they do not effect monti's:
In my experience, they did... Actually my monti's both encrusting and caps were some of the first indicators of AEFW infestation. They showed no discrimination of acros monti's millis efflos or digi's, however I did not find them on lps or softies

i'll dip them when i get home and see if any pop off.. what about birds nest?

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally never found any eating anything except acroporas. They made it through my sump and up into my frag tank though. Once I dipped a piece they seemed to stay away for a week or so. But after the first couple weeks, I never saw them again. I wanted to stop then, but there was no way I was going through that again.

Im glad you have a gung ho attitude.

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found with EXTENSIVE observation... that its not really a matter of what the AEFW will choose to eat.. they obviously have a preference... in my observation it was anything blue or light blue to white was a favorite... smooth skin obviously is easier to notice the effect... what is actually happening along with the eating of the flesh... in the case of smooth skin acros.. the flat worm is actually sitting over the polyp effectivly sealing the polyp inside the coral... and obviously its easier to see the bite marks because there is not much polyp extention to begin with... add to the fact that the worms are keeping them from extending to that.

millis, birdsnest, and longer polyp animals... (digi's) for what ever reason... can still extend their polys easier... and two make it more difficult to see the actual skin to discover the bite marks. this being said... we typically just assume that they are not being *** effected... but when we do see the stress... fading in color.. STN... then we dip... only to surprise ourselves at HOW MANY were actually on there...

i had an orange digi that looked perfectly healthy... but during the course of a full tank dip... blew my mind to see virtually every single polyp float away into the water column because of the extensive damage to the coral ... of which i had virtually no visual indication.

montis and caps... my caps bleached out... upon examination under a microscope... found significant numbers of them browsing the coral... however only saw minimal bite marks on the under side. monti's... again i found significant numbers patroling around... not seeing any real quantities of bite marks... but did find clutches of eggs on both... along with the deteriorating health of the coral. and can only conclude that there is some stressing factor to montis and caps by the AEFW

efflo's... they LOVE efflo's
lary jackson... and the like... FAV'S!!!!
birdsnest milli's and longer polys corals... link lemonade... green acros... stags, ets... they are just a prevelant... however these corals seem to be more tolerable to them... but ultimately will be overcome with the stress of the worms
there is no more AEFW of the smoother skins... just that these corals seem to be more sensative to them

my corals passed in the following order...

first thing to go... ORA TRUE UNDATA... there goes the monti myth.. echinata's 3 of them... steve elias, ice fire, hawkins... lary jackson, ummm... then from there is was a mix of all the others... but the pink lemonade, and the stags were the last to go... which surprised me...

basically... the moral of the story is... do everything you can to NOT get AEFW in the first place ;)

if you do get AEFW... my God have mercy on your tank.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mel, you have a way with words. Especially when it comes to evil little worms.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I doubt AEFW do anything to seritapora (birdsnest) or montipora. I've had them almost a year now, and my birdsnest and caps are growing very well. If they did prey on them, I'd imagine the flatworms would be called SPSEFW, not acropora eating flatworms.

As has been echoed previously, dipping and QT prior to introduction are the only sure fire method of not getting these things. And constant dipping/QT is the only way to get rid of them.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt AEFW do anything to seritapora (birdsnest) or montipora. I've had them almost a year now, and my birdsnest and caps are growing very well. If they did prey on them, I'd imagine the flatworms would be called SPSEFW, not acropora eating flatworms.

As has been echoed previously, dipping and QT prior to introduction are the only sure fire method of not getting these things. And constant dipping/QT is the only way to get rid of them.

Well, I will attest to the Fact that AEFW will eat whatever is left if left to run wild through a tank!! All my ORA Greenbirdsnest was consumed by them and several Encrusting Monti's along with some High Dollar Tyree Caps before i realized what was going on.
I also take care of a very large tank that has had every last piece of SPS eaten by these worms bar none!! Just dipping does not solve the problem as if there are any eggs left that can hatch the whole process starts all over again. I have thought i beat these bugs more times that i can count but in the end the only way to rid my tank was to remove all encrusting bases that could harbor eggs and remount the clean Dipped part of what i could inspect for any signs of eggs.
So far this seems the only sure way to get the Eggs, And if you see one there are hundreds more..
Bill

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just dipping.
That was my problem because I dipped everything. A reefer needs to follow proper dipping procedures.

Such as:
Mix you dip to recommended amounts.
Use a small pump to circulate the water.
Blast the coral before removing it from the dip.
Inspect for bite marks and eggs.
Rinse with tank water.
Finally enjoy you new SPS.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I will attest to the Fact that AEFW will eat whatever is left if left to run wild through a tank!! All my ORA Greenbirdsnest was consumed by them and several Encrusting Monti's along with some High Dollar Tyree Caps before i realized what was going on.
I also take care of a very large tank that has had every last piece of SPS eaten by these worms bar none!! Just dipping does not solve the problem as if there are any eggs left that can hatch the whole process starts all over again. I have thought i beat these bugs more times that i can count but in the end the only way to rid my tank was to remove all encrusting bases that could harbor eggs and remount the clean Dipped part of what i could inspect for any signs of eggs.
So far this seems the only sure way to get the Eggs, And if you see one there are hundreds more..
Bill

It sounds like you had multiple pests - which would be highly probable due to the fact that you have AEFW. Or something else was going on. The few people in this thread are the first that I've ever heard of them consuming anything but acros.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not just dipping.
That was my problem because I dipped everything. A reefer needs to follow proper dipping procedures.

Such as:
Mix you dip to recommended amounts.
Use a small pump to circulate the water.
Blast the coral before removing it from the dip.
Inspect for bite marks and eggs.
Rinse with tank water.
Finally enjoy you new SPS.

I'd recommend QTing everything for at least 6-8 weeks before introduction to a display tank. I followed your recommended protocols above and ended up with them anyways.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found with EXTENSIVE observation... that its not really a matter of what the AEFW will choose to eat.. they obviously have a preference... in my observation it was anything blue or light blue to white was a favorite... smooth skin obviously is easier to notice the effect... what is actually happening along with the eating of the flesh... in the case of smooth skin acros.. the flat worm is actually sitting over the polyp effectivly sealing the polyp inside the coral... and obviously its easier to see the bite marks because there is not much polyp extention to begin with... add to the fact that the worms are keeping them from extending to that.

millis, birdsnest, and longer polyp animals... (digi's) for what ever reason... can still extend their polys easier... and two make it more difficult to see the actual skin to discover the bite marks. this being said... we typically just assume that they are not being *** effected... but when we do see the stress... fading in color.. STN... then we dip... only to surprise ourselves at HOW MANY were actually on there...

i had an orange digi that looked perfectly healthy... but during the course of a full tank dip... blew my mind to see virtually every single polyp float away into the water column because of the extensive damage to the coral ... of which i had virtually no visual indication.

montis and caps... my caps bleached out... upon examination under a microscope... found significant numbers of them browsing the coral... however only saw minimal bite marks on the under side. monti's... again i found significant numbers patroling around... not seeing any real quantities of bite marks... but did find clutches of eggs on both... along with the deteriorating health of the coral. and can only conclude that there is some stressing factor to montis and caps by the AEFW

efflo's... they LOVE efflo's
lary jackson... and the like... FAV'S!!!!
birdsnest milli's and longer polys corals... link lemonade... green acros... stags, ets... they are just a prevelant... however these corals seem to be more tolerable to them... but ultimately will be overcome with the stress of the worms
there is no more AEFW of the smoother skins... just that these corals seem to be more sensative to them

my corals passed in the following order...

first thing to go... ORA TRUE UNDATA... there goes the monti myth.. echinata's 3 of them... steve elias, ice fire, hawkins... lary jackson, ummm... then from there is was a mix of all the others... but the pink lemonade, and the stags were the last to go... which surprised me...

basically... the moral of the story is... do everything you can to NOT get AEFW in the first place ;)

if you do get AEFW... my God have mercy on your tank.

Unless your OCD and spend hours with a baster and Dip till the Cows come home you will lose if your infestation is advanced JMHO from Experiance that is on going.
+1 on all the above.
Bill

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 65 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back