Add more CopperSafe or wait?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
One of my fish had a very few specks of Ich. The tank does not have any corals or inverts yet, so on Saturday (2 days ago), I treated the tank with Fritz CopperSafe. Its a 125G, but with the sand and rock, I put enough CopperSafe to treat 90 gallons...I didn't want to over dose.
I checked this morning, and the fish is literally covered with Ich...prob the worst case I have personally seen.
20210208_063639.jpg

So, do you think I should wait and hope the CopperSafe that I added starts doing its job, or should I add another dose of it? The instructions say no additional dose is required, but it does not say not to.
Thanks!

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to test the levels. The “don’t dose again” is assuming you brought it to therapeutic levels and have it stable at that level. Since you under dosed, it may not be effective against the parasite. You can’t just add another dose though, because it may be too much. Have to calculate the correct amount to add.

the_cros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need a good tester (Hanna) to know where you are at now. From there you can calculate the proper dose to raise the level. Also, I see sand in your picture...I believe I read that sand/rock absorb the copper. So if you continue treatment in this tank you’ll need to test frequently and replenish copper.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back