Added 2nd clown question

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little background info. The first fish I got were a pair of reg ocellated clowns. I had them for about 7 months and they were paired. Unfortunately one of them jumped out of the tank and died. I was really not sure if I was left with a female or male as they were both about the same size. I do know that the one that died would nip my hand whenever I went into the tank.

Shortly after I added a lyretail anthias and to my surprise he got along really well with the clown. I wouldn’t say they acted like a pair but they would swim together a lot.

So yesterday I bought a black occelaris in hopes it could get along and possibly pair with the orange clown. I knew there was a risk and if needed I could transfer it to my friends tank. So I added it in last night and to my surprise both clowns seemed pretty good together but the anthias was ticked. I thought this was strange because the anthias was always the more shy fish. He would swim up to the black clown and puff out his gills and nip a little but nothing crazy.

So this morning all 3 fish are swimming together in the front of the tank and seem to be getting along. But the black clown took a beating last night. It’s fins were nipped at quit a bit. I noticed the orange clown was swimming up to the black clown and would turn on its side and do a shimmy which I think it used to do with the other clown that died.

So does this sound like it’s gonna workout? I don’t know if both clowns are female or not. Is there anyway to tell other than size?

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new crew......

B31EFCCC-436B-4CE9-861B-6D80B33B6449.jpeg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your existing clown was alone for long enough he'd turn female...or start to...and the new clown will depend on if it was in a tank with a harem of other same sized clowns. Only way to tell if its gonna work is to watch them and be prepared to yank one if need be...

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m hoping it works out. The orange has been in the front of the tank more today than the entire prior 6 months. Almost feels like I bought 2 fish. The anthias is staying with them as well. Maybe that is the problem, it pretty much had the front of the tank to itself and now the clowns are hanging out there too.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 67 46.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back