Added a 65W pentair UV, now water level problems

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a red sea reefer 750, 160 gallon tank 40g sump, 200g system. I recently added a pentair 65w UV sterilizer. I hard plumbed it with a varios-6 pump coming from my sump return chamber and going back to the tank, separate from the varios-8 that I already have running as my main return pump. Ever since I turned on my varios-6 pump with UV attached the water level in my tank is higher than normal and even with my valve open all the way, I cannot get the water to lower in my overflow box. What am I doing wrong/what do I need to change to fix my water level issue? I thought to increase the speed on my varios 8 but that seems to make it worse and then I have to add more water to my sump to keep the return chamber from running dry, adding more overall volume to the system which seems counterproductive.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I fix this? Thank you. I have let the system run for a few hours and the water level in the tank is far too high, probably a half inch from the top rim.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sounds like your overflow is being maxed out by the extra pump you added.
Slow the flow on both.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
FWIW, the water level on my 66 gallon rimless tank is about 5/8" from the top. But I do have wiggle room, as the valve on the drain is partly closed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back