Adding 5280 Pods to tank with fish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @AlgaeBarn. First time I added the 5280 Pods, I had no fish. Second order of 5280 Pods will be delivered today. Any specific method of adding them now that I have fish?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read most reefers add them at night time/lights off to help minimise predation from other fish and give the pods a chance. AlgaeBarn may have a different recommendation for you though.
Does the same apply if you're adding them to a refugium with chaeto in it?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think so, I was assuming the op was adding directly to the display tank.
He may be, my question was more for me lol. I am getting a bunch of pods tomorrow, and i planned on adding them to my fuge :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may be, my question was more for me lol. I am getting a bunch of pods tomorrow, and i planned on adding them to my fuge :)
I turn off my return pump for a few minutes to give the pods a chance to get down into the chaeto and not get sucked back up into the display immediately.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Followed the instructions on the bottle.

Fed the fish, turned off the lights, MP60s, skimmer, and return pump. Removed the filter socks.

Added 1/3 of the pods to the refugium and the rest into the DT using a PVC pipe so it goes direct into the sand.

Left everything off for 20 minutes.

I’ll put the filter socks back in 24 hours.

Crreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this a few times with my tanks. I would trim off the pumps and wait until your lights are off. Then pour them in so you fish don’t eat them.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a filter sock with Pods in a system would definitely filter a large number of the Pods out of that system. That's pretty much self-defeating.

Also.... errr, maybe slightly off topic buy can someone tell me why there's 5280 Pods? Does the number 5280 seem familiar to anyone?

MBX5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a filter sock with Pods in a system would definitely filter a large number of the Pods out of that system. That's pretty much self-defeating.

Also.... errr, maybe slightly off topic buy can someone tell me why there's 5280 Pods? Does the number 5280 seem familiar to anyone?
Its the elevation of Denver (mile high) Algae Barn located in CO

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Algae Barn says so:)

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

Thanks for the question. 5280 Pods is because we grow all of our pods at approx 5280 feet (1 mile) above sea level. This means we do not use natural sea water to grow our pods which could contain unwanted parasites and hitchhikers etc. As for dosing the pods we recommend adding them at night when the lights are off and after the fish have been fed. We recommend turning off all filtration and pumps for 2 hours after adding the pods and removing your filter socks for 24 hours to give the pods time to settle in. Once settled, the pods will stay where they want to be and will not be effected by the pumps etc as copepods are some of the fastest living organisms on earth relative to their size and have evolved and adapted to handle and navigate ocean currents much stronger that what is typically recreated in an aquarium. These instructions are also printed in detail on the back label of every bag. Please let us know if you have any other questions, thank you!

Lan

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Thanks for the question. 5280 Pods is because we grow all of our pods at approx 5280 feet (1 mile) above sea level. This means we do not use natural sea water to grow our pods which could contain unwanted parasites and hitchhikers etc. As for dosing the pods we recommend adding them at night when the lights are off and after the fish have been fed. We recommend turning off all filtration and pumps for 2 hours after adding the pods and removing your filter socks for 24 hours to give the pods time to settle in. Once settled, the pods will stay where they want to be and will not be effected by the pumps etc as copepods are some of the fastest living organisms on earth relative to their size and have evolved and adapted to handle and navigate ocean currents much stronger that what is typically recreated in an aquarium. These instructions are also printed in detail on the back label of every bag. Please let us know if you have any other questions, thank you!

Lan

Are pods and algae grown without fish to prevent ich and velvet or would I need to quarantine those items first?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are pods and algae grown without fish to prevent ich and velvet or would I need to quarantine those items first?

All of our pods and phyto are grown in their own systems without any fish or other inverts and do not need to be quarantined. Thanks!

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So what is being inferred here is that your pods never ever migrate once they settle in a spot, so basically after they settle (24hrs) it's fine to go back to using filter socks? (because no pods will be caught by the filter socks anyway)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back