When to stop adding pods?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I have a 5 month old 90 gallon tank. Fish are a diamond goby, firefish goby, watchman goby, naso tang, foxface, 2 clowns, a good variety CUC , cleaner shrimp, coral beauty, and six line wrasse. All parameters are good. Tank is doing great. I have been adding pods monthly for about 2 months now . So the question is, should I keep adding pods monthly, or should I have enough now to stay in a good population? No more fish will be added. Getting a few corals this weekend.

Surf City Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I have a 5 month old 90 gallon tank. Fish are a diamond goby, firefish goby, watchman goby, naso tang, foxface, 2 clowns, a good variety CUC , cleaner shrimp, coral beauty, and six line wrasse. All parameters are good. Tank is doing great. I have been adding pods monthly for about 2 months now . So the question is, should I keep adding pods monthly, or should I have enough now to stay in a good population? No more fish will be added. Getting a few corals this weekend.
You should be able to see the little white specs (pods) if you have a good eye. either on the glass or in the sand when you stir it up depending on the species of pods. Tisbe pods are sand dwelling and my favorite. I typically have a great colony in my tank that remains somewhat visible, but if I don't see as many of those pretty little snowflakes for a period of time then I'll add a supplement of pods and some phytoplankton to feed them. If you set up and cycle a tank well sometimes pods just show up. I was lucky to have them show up without adding them the first time, however, since I now have my beautiful dragonets in my stocked mixed reef tank I look out for their food supply if they start chowing down the pod colony.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally you can get pods as hitchhikers on frags, coral, and lr from other systems. I have a manarin and toss pods in once a month to ensure the population is large enough for the mandarin. When I didn't have one, I never added pods.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seeded my fuge when my tank was about 5 months old and they have been self populating in there ever since. Between my pistol, two cleaner shrimp and Melanarus wrasse, they keep the DT from being over run with pods while getting the chance to hunt for live food. It’s a nice balance.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twenty years ago one of the main questions on a reef forum is "what are these little white dots on my glass?". Today its "how many bottles of pods should I add?" What happened???

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twenty years ago one of the main questions on a reef forum is "what are these little white dots on my glass?". Today its "how many bottles of pods should I add?" What happened???
Dry rock and dipping corals, imo. If you don't start with any, you won't get any.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back