Adding 60lbs live sand to established 180g setup

  • Thread starter Thread starter scottkel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

scottkel

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2012
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
Location
Goodlettsville
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established 180g that had been setup for about 5 years. Over these years between pumps and my gobies I have ended up with one side of the tank with about 4" of sand and the other with about 1". I bought 60lbs of Agri-Alive live sand to add to the othe side to help level things out but will this cause and bad things to happen?

I have multiple fish, corals and inverts with about 120lbs live rock.

Please let me know what I should do. Thanks.

Scott
 
I see no problem in it at all. You will probably have a diatom bloom for a bit though.
 
You should be fine. Just try to cup it in and pour slowly to reduce the cloudiness some. I personally would have gone with the dry stuff so you can rinse the hec out of it before hand. It would be live in no time in an established tank. Good luck!
 
It should be fine, I would imagine there will be some die off but nothing your tank can't handle.

I have to agree on the dry sand, live sand is a waste of money in my opinion.
 
Yep,

you can even use a big piece of pvc pipe like a funnel to get it to go where you want. you shouldn't have any issues

bob
 
I would say to mix it in with the old sand nice and slooowly and if you can do it in parts every 2-3 days till you get it were you want. You might get diatoms but if you mix it in I think you should be fine.
 
Yep,

you can even use a big piece of pvc pipe like a funnel to get it to go where you want. you shouldn't have any issues

bob
PVC pipe for a funnel, thats a great idea that I will use next time. Thanks
 
Cubbies - I have always heard that you do not want to disturb the existing sandbed due to the ammonia/nitrate pockets that can be escaped into the water?
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new