Adding a bubble tip on the third week?

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 9 gallon which is 3 weeks old. Got my pair of clowns from my 20 into here and they are happy as can be. About 8 pounds of rock and 10 pounds of sand which was in the 20 is in here. I also added about 600ml of copepods in and they seem to be breeding. Would it be ok to add a bubble tip as my lfs gets them in quite cheap and there like the red/ rose ones?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be risky, and they wont be happy for several months if they survive.
It's important to find out whether or not they are aquacultured or they are harvested from the ocean, if harvested the chance of success is near 0 for a tank that old, especially if you haven't kept them before.
An aquacultured one has a much higher chance of success, but even if it survives, it will likely be very unhappy for several months. The best option would be to wait, I know its tough but a few months down the road there will still be plenty of nems available. :)

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be risky, and they wont be happy for several months if they survive.
It's important to find out whether or not they are aquacultured or they are harvested from the ocean, if harvested the chance of success is near 0 for a tank that old, especially if you haven't kept them before.
An aquacultured one has a much higher chance of success, but even if it survives, it will likely be very unhappy for several months. The best option would be to wait, I know its tough but a few months down the road there will still be plenty of nems available. :)
Ok I will take this into consideration. Do you know why they like a tank which is older? I get it would be more mature but what are the benefits to it?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will take this into consideration. Do you know why they like a tank which is older? I get it would be more mature but what are the benefits to it?
While tanks cycle fast, they take a long time to mature. The maturing process beginning post cycle is often filled with parameter swings all over the place, many parameters in which we are not capable of testing for on a daily basis. There are millions of things going on on a bacterial level that we can not see with our eyes. Anemones are a species that can not survive rapid changes in their environment.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters are about to go haywire in the next few months. Nitrate, phosphate, cal, alk, everything, then you’ll see why. Nems live on stability
Thats funny you say that because my 20 gallon had none of this it only had a little diatom for 1 month and now its on cruise control.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While tanks cycle fast, they take a long time to mature. The maturing process beginning post cycle is often filled with parameter swings all over the place, many parameters in which we are not capable of testing for on a daily basis. There are millions of things going on on a bacterial that we can not see with our eyes. Anemones are a species that can not survive rapid changes in their environment.
Ok thanks for the help guys I will definitely not get one right now and wait till the time is right.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back