Adding a clownfish pair

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lightly stocked 90 gallon reef tank with lots of rock and caves/overhangs. I have had a pair of common clowns since before setup, been part of multiple upgrades, but the old female is looking pretty rough lately. Hasn't eaten in a week, looking thin, and just hangs in a corner with no signs of aggression. Thinking I've had her for 10+ years now and maybe it's just old age?

Anyways I have a pair of much smaller common clowns on a basement tank I rescued from a coworker years ago. Havnt shown any breeding behaviors. Even though they are all occelerus clowns the 2 in the basement i was told were "nano occelerus" if that is a real thing. They do seem to have not grown and are probably half the size as my regular pair. Im thinking of swapping the old girl out of the main display and adding the pair of nano clowns. Let her spend her final days alone to see if she will start eating again before she perishes in my reef.

Being the male in my display is probably twice the size as the female in my basement tank and even more than the other male, is there a chance that could work on large 90? Right now the pair in the 90 only occupied maybe a third of the tank and never ventures far from the 1 corner and rock. Only time I see them even come to the middle of the tank is during feeding, than they go right back.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they all ocellaris? If so I don't see an issue with moving the old girl and pulling the young 2 up. The bigger male will probably turn female over time if I had to guess if the change is done. if they are percs and ocellaris I would not mix.

Back