Adding a juvenile mimic with an established mimic tang.

  • Thread starter Thread starter atoll
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

atoll

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 20, 2012
Messages
5,985
Reaction score
11,204
Location
Wales UK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mimic tang of about 4.1/2" max. I was in my LFS and had a juvenile mimic of about 3" so quite different colouration. I am tempted to go back and buy it.I have a 110 gallon reef tankbwith lots of rock work with overhangs, nooks and caves.
I know it's a risk but what do people think of the chances of them settling together?
Photo my my existing mimic tang.
20251030_171838.jpg
 
I'm gonna say don't. That tank is only 48" x 18". You can get away with another smaller Acanthurus sp. in that tank (I.e. the Mimic), but two identical would go over like a fart in church. There will be aggression in that small of a footprint, and if not immediately, then eventually, one is going to die, IMO.

I would say go with another small Acanthurus sp. like a PBrT or Lavender, or a medium sized Ctenochaetus sp. such as a flavicauda.

Happy reefing!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new