Understated beauty Tang

  • Thread starter Thread starter atoll
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

atoll

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 20, 2012
Messages
5,983
Reaction score
11,211
Location
Wales UK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not one of the brightest of colours but very nice all the same. The Mimic Tang, Acanthurus pyroferus is also one of the cheapest tangs available. I bought mine as a juvenile looking not dissimilar to the cream dwarf angel they often tend to mimic.
However, as they grow their true adult colouration tends to appear and take over. Although reported to grow quite large I have had mine for around 4 years and it's still only about 4.1/2" nose to tail. My specimen bothers no other fish in the tank and nothing bothers it. I won't bore you with a description the photos will tell you much.
20251030_171823.jpg
20251030_171838.jpg
 
Ohh, that is a beauty!
I had another underrated beauty, the Dussumier's tang. Acanthurus dussumieri. It was the boss. Unremarkable in coloration until they get larger, but mine would have this vivid pattern when agitated. Every time I used my magnetic glass cleaner, he would have an all-out battle with it. Flashing, tail smacking, posturing, and flaring... I miss him tremendously. You can see him in my tank photo below.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new