Adding a recirculating CO2 Scrubber

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I found this 3d printed contraption here for sale, it was like $30 It was worth the gamble to test this out. Plus, the CO2 lids for this skimmer appear to be on backorder, for ever. So I thought I would play with this.

The first issue I noticed is that by adding the riser to catch the air to recirculate, the foam doesn't have a lid to push back on, so 100% of the foam is coming over the top. When the foam is wet (newly installed Reefmat, so the skim is changing from what I was use to being produced), the humidity really goes up.

I am ordering the Apex sensor that I can stick in my collection cup to shut the skimmer down when the cup is full. This should help prevent fluid making it to the scrubber (marked 2). But, for this contraption (labeled 1) is there some type of media that I can put in that cup to absorb the high humidity in the lines and prevent it from making it's way to the scrubber (marked 1)? I was hopeful that the cup (1) would collect the moisture, but it is making its way into the line.

What I have labeled as 3 is the airline I have from the outside. I currently have it poking through a cracked window. I am just trying to figure winter out. I want to compare the numbers for the recirculation against outside air. I may have to drill a hole through my brick and run the airline permanently, if they are both the same, numbers wise.

Thoughts?

1693928697909.png
1693928697909.png

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never felt the need for your 1, but my scrubber was always mounted well above the skimmer's lid.

Wound up getting this shut off setup because Apex did not offer one at that time. It went for about $40.00 at the time.

Think it's at a better price at Amazon

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the recirculating setup like that inhibited my skimmers ability, and also just did not work in my system. Too much moisture in the lines even with a moisture trap. Tried for a while but it just didn’t work out for me. I now have a solenoid that opens for fresh air after I hit a certain PH.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back