Adding A refugium

PirateMonkeyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So id like to add a 20 Gallon Refugium to my 40 gallon sump. Right now there's really just enough room for a skimmer and some live rock in the initial Chamber where the water drains in from the DT. My question is should I cut into the main drain and have a smaller pipe drain into the added refugium or just add a small pump and have that pump water into the added 20 gallon tank then have it just drain right back into the sump?

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So id like to add a 20 Gallon Refugium to my 40 gallon sump. Right now there's really just enough room for a skimmer and some live rock in the initial Chamber where the water drains in from the DT. My question is should I cut into the main drain and have a smaller pipe drain into the added refugium or just add a small pump and have that pump water into the added 20 gallon tank then have it just drain right back into the sump?
A separate pump gives you better control. thats how I did it. You dont have to turn off your main return pump if you need to do some maintenance on the refugium.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just connected a 40B to my 210g, I did an overlow on the 40 dumping into the sump and a return pump in the sump feeding the refuge. Controlling the flow in the refuge is a plus, 200-300gph works for me.

Attachments

• 20201120_183617.jpg
    20201120_183617.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
PirateMonkeyReefer

PirateMonkeyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I got the tank rigged up under the DT today going to use a little 300gpm pump with an overflow and dual drain set up. Probably going to add a few inches of sand and grow Cheato and some LPS frags Down there with an Ocean Revive light fixture I used on my last 40g Breeder DT

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back