Adding a Second Display to a Sump

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I currently have a reefer 250 up and running. I have a couple deskmates that currently are unused, and what I want to do, is utilize one of those tanks as a second display/frag tank in the sump area. I however, want to avoid drilling a hole in the deskmate if at all possible. What kind of options are out there to accomplish this, or is it even possible? I had one of the deskmates up and running for about a year, and I really enjoyed the tank, but I just never could get ahold of the nutrient management.

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the rim over flows are a thing...

OP
OP
immo

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the rim over flows are a thing...
I have read on them a little bit, but have heard both sides of the story as to how well they work. Will they restart the siphon after turning the return pump off for feeding?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The siphon must be sized correctly. One case where bigger is not better. You want the tubes to run fast enough to evacuate any air bubbles. I ran one for a year, then drilled.

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read on them a little bit, but have heard both sides of the story as to how well they work. Will they restart the siphon after turning the return pump off for feeding?
You can also find a toms aqualifter and drill a hole on the top of the tube to create a vacuum to help start the siphon

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running this same one for as long as I can remember, and a pf300 for 10 years and never had an issue.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back