Adding a second return pump?

red reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding a second return pump to my 360 display tank. Tank is up and running for about a year and I have had flow issues. I have a Syncra 12, 3200gph as my return. I do have my chiller teed off of the main return with a gate valve to slow the flow through the chiller.
My tank is 96" x 24" x 36" tall it is 1.25 thick acrylic on all 4 sides. with an island center overflow. the tank is viewed from all sided. I have two 1.5" drain lines and one 1.25 " emergency drain tube. The two main drain lines are closed down a lot to create a 100% siphon. I was thinking of adding a DC pump next to my main, something like a waveline DC12000. then run a rigid pvc pipe up the side and over the top and then in the tank with some inductors on them.

Other then draining and drilling to add a closed loop I think this is my only answer. I Would like to hear what your thoughts are.
20140722_074500.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
With it as open as it is, I would do a bottom drilled closed loop to keep it looking as clean as it is now.
I think running pvc up over the top would take away from the clean appearance.

My second pick would be a couple Quiet Drive Vortechs, with the controllers inside the stand.

OP
OP
red reef

red reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With it as open as it is, I would do a bottom drilled closed loop to keep it looking as clean as it is now.
I think running pvc up over the top would take away from the clean appearance.

My second pick would be a couple Quiet Drive Vortechs, with the controllers inside the stand.
sounds good but the tank is UP and running, photo is a year old when I was doing a leak test. Vortechs would be nice but will not make it with 1.25" walls.
this is my first big tank and boy I wish I drilled a close loop system in the bottom.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides more flow, the other benefit of a second return pump is redundancy. You never know if a pump is going to fail.....and it would be really bad if you were away for a few days.

OP
OP
red reef

red reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides more flow, the other benefit of a second return pump is redundancy. You never know if a pump is going to fail.....and it would be really bad if you were away for a few days.
You know I never thought of it that way before.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 1:
Upgrade your return pump to something that'll net you an extra 20-30% flow.

Option 2:
Snake some black PVC up the back so it sorta blends into your overflow.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 157 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 32 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back