Adding a second return pump?

red reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2014
Messages
138
Reaction score
11
Location
Tampa Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding a second return pump to my 360 display tank. Tank is up and running for about a year and I have had flow issues. I have a Syncra 12, 3200gph as my return. I do have my chiller teed off of the main return with a gate valve to slow the flow through the chiller.
My tank is 96" x 24" x 36" tall it is 1.25 thick acrylic on all 4 sides. with an island center overflow. the tank is viewed from all sided. I have two 1.5" drain lines and one 1.25 " emergency drain tube. The two main drain lines are closed down a lot to create a 100% siphon. I was thinking of adding a DC pump next to my main, something like a waveline DC12000. then run a rigid pvc pipe up the side and over the top and then in the tank with some inductors on them.

Other then draining and drilling to add a closed loop I think this is my only answer. I Would like to hear what your thoughts are.
20140722_074500.jpg
 
With it as open as it is, I would do a bottom drilled closed loop to keep it looking as clean as it is now.
I think running pvc up over the top would take away from the clean appearance.

My second pick would be a couple Quiet Drive Vortechs, with the controllers inside the stand.
 
With it as open as it is, I would do a bottom drilled closed loop to keep it looking as clean as it is now.
I think running pvc up over the top would take away from the clean appearance.

My second pick would be a couple Quiet Drive Vortechs, with the controllers inside the stand.
sounds good but the tank is UP and running, photo is a year old when I was doing a leak test. Vortechs would be nice but will not make it with 1.25" walls.
this is my first big tank and boy I wish I drilled a close loop system in the bottom.
 
You can even find colored pvc fittings around the web.
I found some on ebay.
 
I used some plumbing a friends tank and it was fun to use, and looks sharp.
 
Besides more flow, the other benefit of a second return pump is redundancy. You never know if a pump is going to fail.....and it would be really bad if you were away for a few days.
 
Besides more flow, the other benefit of a second return pump is redundancy. You never know if a pump is going to fail.....and it would be really bad if you were away for a few days.
You know I never thought of it that way before.
 
Option 1:
Upgrade your return pump to something that'll net you an extra 20-30% flow.

Option 2:
Snake some black PVC up the back so it sorta blends into your overflow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new