Adding a Sump, plumbing question

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am adding a trigger systems sump to my system. I see all manners of plumbing. I want to go PVC all the way. My question is should the return line and overflow line be the same size? I've seen same size, smaller size on the return. Which is better

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
short answer , no . return is smaller. What size tank ? Most common is 1 inch overflow / 3/4 inch return.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
short answer , no . return is smaller. What size tank ? Most common is 1 inch overflow / 3/4 inch return.
I have a 45 gal nano and I'm adding a Tunze overflow that has a 40MM output down to the sump/ My return pump is a waveline dc2500 with a 3/4 output although I guess I could make it smaller

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tunze overflow Replacing my JBJ 45 gallon AIO with a sump. The Tunze has a 40MM output going down into the sump. My return pump is a waveline DC2500 with a 3/4 in ouput (I think I could make it smaller) But any suggestions please

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
max overflow is 400 gph from what I gather. I wouldn't worry to much about the return side , just make sure the return of the pump is turned down to match the overflow rate.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Thanks O got worried because I ordered the PVC parts from BRS already and I would have hated to go smaller. Yes the waveline is Apex ready so I can dial it down, although you have the capability of adding another UTube

flsoccerace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a great deal on a 30 gal AIO frag tank that I want to add a trigger cube sump to. I was looking at HOB overflows, but have considered cutting out the AIO baffles and structure (it is all glass) and drilling for either a standpipe or a shadow overflow. I’m curious if you would share your opinions after it looks like you completed a similar project. What choices do you think worked, and what would you have done differently?

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a great deal on a 30 gal AIO frag tank that I want to add a trigger cube sump to. I was looking at HOB overflows, but have considered cutting out the AIO baffles and structure (it is all glass) and drilling for either a standpipe or a shadow overflow. I’m curious if you would share your opinions after it looks like you completed a similar project. What choices do you think worked, and what would you have done differently?

I have a JBJ 45 gallon AIO and have the trigger systems crystal cube sump which is 18 by 18 although it fits fine width wise in my stand it barely fits deep wise in the stand,

I stayed with a HOB because I had already filled my tank and been in use for several months when I made the decision to go with the sump.
i am debating whether to remove the false back and retain the HOB
i like the HOB

you got to think about the glass and see if it is tempered glass or not. you may not be able to cut that glass.

i would not go for a standpipe because you are losing room and you are already small as it is

excuse my rambling.

i would see if you could cut the glass and go shadow or just get rid of the false back and go with a HOB. I get plenty of flow with my HOB

it has worked successfully and actually I have both a i in drain and a 1 in return
and I’m getting about a 500 gallon return rate

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your basic question a drain flows by gravity and a return flows by pressure from a pump. You usually need a bigger diameter on the drain than return to get them to equal each other.

flsoccerace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ 45 gallon AIO and have the trigger systems crystal cube sump which is 18 by 18 although it fits fine width wise in my stand it barely fits deep wise in the stand,

I stayed with a HOB because I had already filled my tank and been in use for several months when I made the decision to go with the sump.
i am debating whether to remove the false back and retain the HOB
i like the HOB

you got to think about the glass and see if it is tempered glass or not. you may not be able to cut that glass.

i would not go for a standpipe because you are losing room and you are already small as it is

excuse my rambling.

i would see if you could cut the glass and go shadow or just get rid of the false back and go with a HOB. I get plenty of flow with my HOB

it has worked successfully and actually I have both a i in drain and a 1 in return
and I’m getting about a 500 gallon return rate
Thanks! It’s a Waterbox, so it should be Starphire glass. I was concerned that the AIO section would impede the flow too much on the HOB but am also nervous to ruin it. But getting an extra 4 inches of display area is always a plus.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It’s a Waterbox, so it should be Starphire glass. I was concerned that the AIO section would impede the flow too much on the HOB but am also nervous to ruin it. But getting an extra 4 inches of display area is always a plus.

i run a small pump in the middle section that pushes the water over to the other end.
the regret I have is losing that much for display purposes. When I bought the JBJ I really didn’t understand a lot of having a sump and not having one and I knew I was restricted in size. I also really didn’t research a lot otherwise I would have gone with a Red Sea 250. But I also went locally. This was back In 2013 so there wasn’t a lot of cubes out then either compared to now

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back