Adding a tang with a Sailfin Tang?

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was wondering if there are any tangs not prone to aggression with an already established but not fully grown sailfin tang. I know to avoid other zebrasoma. The display is 60.5"×25.3"×21.7.

I was thinking a kole or tomini.

Or would attempting to add another tang just end in disaster?

My sailfin isn't aggressive with any fish yet but it is the only tang. Other tank mates are 3x scribbled/twinspot Anthias and 2 clowns.

Thanks!

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, either one of them will work. There will probably be some aggression so be prepared to make quick decisions. You can use a mirror to see if that helps of aggression occurs. Sailfins can be jerks..he may not be aggressive now, but an addition of another tang in the tank can trigger aggression and its mindset

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 with a hippo, sailfish, purple and yellow tang. I built and placed and acclimation box in the tang when adding an additional tang. I kept the AI light off over the box off for two days before letting the tang into the general population. Some aggression but never too bad. I'm getting ready to add two additional yellows that I have in a quarantine tank.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sailfin for many years was one of first fish i bought. He showed no aggression toward other tangs. I added a naso and hippo a few years after i had him and he could have cared less. I think you should be goodl.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, either one of them will work. There will probably be some aggression so be prepared to make quick decisions. You can use a mirror to see if that helps of aggression occurs. Sailfins can be jerks..he may not be aggressive now, but an addition of another tang in the tank can trigger aggression and its mindset
Thanks for the advice! If I do end up getting one, I'll try the mirror trick and will be ready to re-home.

I have a 180 with a hippo, sailfish, purple and yellow tang. I built and placed and acclimation box in the tang when adding an additional tang. I kept the AI light off over the box off for two days before letting the tang into the general population. Some aggression but never too bad. I'm getting ready to add two additional yellows that I have in a quarantine tank.
That's a good idea! What all did you put in the acclimation box? My only fear would be stressing out the new tang in the acclimation box from feeling exposed.

I had a sailfin for many years was one of first fish i bought. He showed no aggression toward other tangs. I added a naso and hippo a few years after i had him and he could have cared less. I think you should be goodl.
That's good to know!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a kole or tomini.
Those choices would have the best odds among the tangs.

A lone tang can be a tough situation, as it likely has claimed the whole thing. The sailfin may outgrow the tank eventually too.

One thing you might consider would be adding 2 or 3 biggish fish instead of just the one. That would give the sailfin more than just one fish to focus on. A foxface, for example, would be a good choice.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mirrors have always worked well with my Red Sea sailfin as well. Oddly enough of the zebrasoma tangs I could keep a purple tang with him or a yellow tang with him but I could never get the purple and the yellow to coexist?? Sometimes it’s just individual personalities it’s always a gamble just make your best educated guess. The acclimation box is your best option because if there is excessive aggression the fish is already in the box and can’t be harmed while you figure out what to do. Adding multiple fish at once is also a good suggestion someone posted!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back