Adding additional pods, recommendations?!

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to order pods from algaebarn really just to add to my tank. Just had a Dino outbreak and I just want to replenish any that were killed off from the outbreak for my mandarin.
What do you guys recommend 5280 pods or Eco pods or have another recommendation?
And is live phytoplankton good to add? What’s it’s benefits?
Thanks

E598FA6B-CB3F-4367-BA18-36FDE26D6162.png B8EB6880-99C6-4599-ABF7-ABE728F6E504.png

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live phytoplankton feeds the little people that process organic & inorganic nutrients into live food for hungry mouths. Considering the several tanks you have, consider a continuous phyto culture.

I consider phytoplankton to be “carbon dosing” on steroids. Reef “carbon dosing” removes nutrients by removing bacteria caught up in protein skimmer.

In nature, carbon enters the ocean through carbon dioxide solubility from the athmosphere then after alkalinity buffering is converted to glucose through photosynthesis. Glucose is carbon for the reef and is moved up the food chain thru the “microbial loop”.

I like algae barns 5280 pods. I have used Ocean Magic. For phyto cultivation, I prefer a Tetraselmis mono culture I get from Mercer of Montana. Ocean Magic has several species.

image.jpg

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to order pods from algaebarn really just to add to my tank. Just had a Dino outbreak and I just want to replenish any that were killed off from the outbreak for my mandarin.
What do you guys recommend 5280 pods or Eco pods or have another recommendation?
And is live phytoplankton good to add? What’s it’s benefits?
Thanks

E598FA6B-CB3F-4367-BA18-36FDE26D6162.png B8EB6880-99C6-4599-ABF7-ABE728F6E504.png
Phyto definitely is good for the pods the only difference in the 5280 pods and the eco pods is the ecopods have optional colcarva which is the smallest of the pods that algaebarn raises and the reproduce pretty fast. But there's several advantages of adding phyto and ocean majik does have 4 species nanno, thal, iso, and tetra. Filter feeders love it and if you have clams it's great for them

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto definitely is good for the pods the only difference in the 5280 pods and the eco pods is the ecopods have optional colcarva which is the smallest of the pods that algaebarn raises and the reproduce pretty fast. But there's several advantages of adding phyto and ocean majik does have 4 species nanno, thal, iso, and tetra. Filter feeders love it and if you have clams it's great for them
That's supposed to say oithona colcarva

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back