Adding ammonia daily but it’s reading 0 with 5.0 nitrite

Shermie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m new to the game here. I have a 36 gal freshwater tank that has been cycling for a little over a month now. I finally peaked my ammonia and now have a huge spike in nitrite 5 and currently 0 in ammonia although I have been dosing with small amounts of Dr. Tim’s every other day. Even when adding the ammonia and testing within 24 hours it still reads as 0. Should I continue adding ammonia? I don’t want to upset the cycle by stopping but I also don’t want to stall it by adding more (even though it reads 0) Not to mention my nitrites have been stuck for over a week on 5! Nitrates are also high btw. Please help!

OP
OP
S

Shermie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop adding ammonia and dump the whole bottle of bacteria into the tank. Also nitrate test can be interfered by nitrite in a tank.
ok deal I will stop dosing ammonia. I have a bottle of microbe lift nite out 2 - should I add that to the tank? I also have API quick start and stress some (which I added in the beginning when starting the cycle) as well as Aqueon pure bacteria balls. Thank you everyone for your replies. Since I have been at this for over a month - do you think I’m nearly done cycling? Attached a pic of my current products

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 15

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok deal I will stop dosing ammonia. I have a bottle of microbe lift nite out 2 - should I add that to the tank? I also have API quick start and stress some (which I added in the beginning when starting the cycle) as well as Aqueon pure bacteria balls. Thank you everyone for your replies. Since I have been at this for over a month - do you think I’m nearly done cycling? Attached a pic of my current products

Once nitrite is done then you are fine. When I started my planted tank, I just dumped two big bottles of cycling bacteria then I called it a day. You can use some of the cycling products you have now or when you get fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back