Adding an Aquascape 2 years later to a deep sand bed

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ozzyfrank
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ozzyfrank

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2022
Messages
12
Reaction score
2
Location
Nashville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've had a 200-gallon fish and invert tank for about 2 years now. Currently, there is a minimal amount of rocks and habitat. I want to get more fish soon, so I made an aquascape using 110 pounds of macro rock.

Here's what I'm wondering... I have a deep sand bed about 2-3 inches deep that has never been vacuumed. I've never done it for fear of releasing hydrogen sulfide. But when I put the newly created aquascape in the tank, I will have to disrupt the sand ( so it will be stable and less likely to fall).

Should I vacuum the sand bed before I install the aquascape or just put the rocks in?
I'm leaning towards vacuuming the sand bed because the sand has never been disrupted, so I don't believe there is anything decaying that could produce hydrogen sulfide.

Is this a good plan?
Thanks!
 
Hello,

I've had a 200-gallon fish and invert tank for about 2 years now. Currently, there is a minimal amount of rocks and habitat. I want to get more fish soon, so I made an aquascape using 110 pounds of macro rock.

Here's what I'm wondering... I have a deep sand bed about 2-3 inches deep that has never been vacuumed. I've never done it for fear of releasing hydrogen sulfide. But when I put the newly created aquascape in the tank, I will have to disrupt the sand ( so it will be stable and less likely to fall).

Should I vacuum the sand bed before I install the aquascape or just put the rocks in?
I'm leaning towards vacuuming the sand bed because the sand has never been disrupted, so I don't believe there is anything decaying that could produce hydrogen sulfide.

Is this a good plan?
Thanks!
2-3 inches is probably not considered a deep sand bed.

Why were you thinking of vacuuming the sand now?

Is your sand cemented together or still loose and flowing?
 
I was thinking that adding the aquascape would be a big disruption to the sand bed, so I figured vacuuming might lessen the disruption.

The sand is loose and movable.

But now that you got me thinking, I may not need to vacuum the sand because my clean-up crew does a good job of cleaning the sand, so I could just slowly wedge the aquascape into the sand and vacuum after the aquascape is in place if needed.

Thanks.
 
Id think disturbing the sand at the same time as adding new rockwork may be too big a stress event for the tank. Id vac the sand, then add new rockwork a week or so later, just to keep everything safe and ammonia free. Good luck, let us know how you make out!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new