Adding an Aquascape 2 years later to a deep sand bed

Ozzyfrank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've had a 200-gallon fish and invert tank for about 2 years now. Currently, there is a minimal amount of rocks and habitat. I want to get more fish soon, so I made an aquascape using 110 pounds of macro rock.

Here's what I'm wondering... I have a deep sand bed about 2-3 inches deep that has never been vacuumed. I've never done it for fear of releasing hydrogen sulfide. But when I put the newly created aquascape in the tank, I will have to disrupt the sand ( so it will be stable and less likely to fall).

Should I vacuum the sand bed before I install the aquascape or just put the rocks in?
I'm leaning towards vacuuming the sand bed because the sand has never been disrupted, so I don't believe there is anything decaying that could produce hydrogen sulfide.

Is this a good plan?
Thanks!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've had a 200-gallon fish and invert tank for about 2 years now. Currently, there is a minimal amount of rocks and habitat. I want to get more fish soon, so I made an aquascape using 110 pounds of macro rock.

Here's what I'm wondering... I have a deep sand bed about 2-3 inches deep that has never been vacuumed. I've never done it for fear of releasing hydrogen sulfide. But when I put the newly created aquascape in the tank, I will have to disrupt the sand ( so it will be stable and less likely to fall).

Should I vacuum the sand bed before I install the aquascape or just put the rocks in?
I'm leaning towards vacuuming the sand bed because the sand has never been disrupted, so I don't believe there is anything decaying that could produce hydrogen sulfide.

Is this a good plan?
Thanks!
2-3 inches is probably not considered a deep sand bed.

Why were you thinking of vacuuming the sand now?

Is your sand cemented together or still loose and flowing?

OP
OP
O

Ozzyfrank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that adding the aquascape would be a big disruption to the sand bed, so I figured vacuuming might lessen the disruption.

The sand is loose and movable.

But now that you got me thinking, I may not need to vacuum the sand because my clean-up crew does a good job of cleaning the sand, so I could just slowly wedge the aquascape into the sand and vacuum after the aquascape is in place if needed.

Thanks.

Johnnyracer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id think disturbing the sand at the same time as adding new rockwork may be too big a stress event for the tank. Id vac the sand, then add new rockwork a week or so later, just to keep everything safe and ammonia free. Good luck, let us know how you make out!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back