Adding an RO booster pump

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current RO/DI set up is a 6 stage BRS set up and my pressure is chronically less than 40psi so I would like to add a booster pump. My RO/DI reservoir is quite a ways from my unit and I have a float valve in it to shut off production when it's full. If I add the booster pump where do I put the pressure cut off valve? If I don't use the valve will the pump run continuously even when the reservoir is full?

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put the valve on the exit of the last stage. when it hits the pressure it kills the pump

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recommend the aquatic life smart buddie pump. costs about the same as other pumps but is more plug and play.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw the float valve doesn’t work well as a pump shut off. Definitely have one, but as a back up. Alone, it will cycle on and off. The float valve will eventually lose pressure and turn back on. it will do this over and over.

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about the Aquatec booster pump setup, it's not a valve, it's a pressure activated electrical switch. It will not shut water off at all, only turn off the pump.
And yes, without this switch the pump will just be on all the time.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put the valve on the exit of the last stage. when it hits the pressure it kills the pump

So anywhere on the line leading out of the DI to the reservoir?

If you're talking about the Aquatec booster pump setup, it's not a valve, it's a pressure activated electrical switch. It will not shut water off at all, only turn off the pump.
And yes, without this switch the pump will just be on all the time.

Correct(sorry for the misstatement, a pressure activated switch that shuts off of the pump. Can I put it just after the line leaves the DI?

Thanks guys.

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I have is set to 40 psi. I tried adjusting it once but it didn't seem to make a difference, and I didn't want to keep turning the little set screw. It also feeds my fridge water, it would be nice to get 75 psi there.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a electronic solenoid in conjunction with a Avast Marine ATO switch. I use the standard outlet type. Plug the solenoid into the outlet and when the sensor activates it cuts the power to the pump thus stopping the flow.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back