adding blue hippo tang after purchasing purple

Gav 525xl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was at a new LFS over the weekend and saw they had a very healthy looking purple tang. When I asked the price I was also told they had it for some time as it had been through QT and was in their display tank for some time eating a large variety of food.
I ended up grabbing it and quickly made itself comfortable in my tank eating the algae pellets and Nori I already had in the tank minutes from introduction.
Whilst I had planned on getting a purple eventually, I also have plans to grab a blue hippo tang. Thinking the Blue would have been introduced first.
Should i look at getting the hippo asap while the purple is only days into introduction or wait? Also should I get one the same size as the purple, larger/smaller and will any of this avoid any aggression?

If it helps tank is a red sea 525xl, other fish are 2 clowns, Lawnmower blenny and Yellow watchman goby so they should both have plenty of room

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was at a new LFS over the weekend and saw they had a very healthy looking purple tang. When I asked the price I was also told they had it for some time as it had been through QT and was in their display tank for some time eating a large variety of food.
I ended up grabbing it and quickly made itself comfortable in my tank eating the algae pellets and Nori I already had in the tank minutes from introduction.
Whilst I had planned on getting a purple eventually, I also have plans to grab a blue hippo tang. Thinking the Blue would have been introduced first.
Should i look at getting the hippo asap while the purple is only days into introduction or wait? Also should I get one the same size as the purple, larger/smaller and will any of this avoid any aggression?

If it helps tank is a red sea 525xl, other fish are 2 clowns, Lawnmower blenny and Yellow watchman goby so they should both have plenty of room
Getting the Blue Hippo sooner than later will help. Then again, they are 2 different Genus, SO, it may not even matter. They may fight a bit, BUT, tangs are tangs and will always fight a bit. ;)

I have 6 in my 225 gal tank and see aggression on a daily basis.

I would try to get a Blue Hippo that is equal in size to the Purple though.

OP
OP
Gav 525xl

Gav 525xl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the Blue Hippo sooner than later will help. Then again, they are 2 different Genus, SO, it may not even matter. They may fight a bit, BUT, tangs are tangs and will always fight a bit. ;)

I have 6 in my 225 gal tank and see aggression on a daily basis.

I would try to get a Blue Hippo that is equal in size to the Purple though.
Thanks, Appreciate the reply. The purple is still small maybe so it shouldn't be hard to find the blue the same size.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Appreciate the reply. The purple is still small maybe so it shouldn't be hard to find the blue the same size.
I added a 2.5" Achilles tang to my tank that was home to my 4"+ Tomini tang for a few months beforehand. Eventually the Achilles grew up enough to defend itself. It is possible to add a single tang to a tank that is home to another, it really depends on the size of the tank and how many areas they can hide if need be.

You will need to be observant though. You will need to look and see in any aggression above the norm is happening.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back