Adding Chaeto to Sump

mrsaltwaterguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking to add chaeto to my sump set up in order to breed pods and for nitrate reduction. I'm looking for some suggestions on how I could retro fit into my existing set up without taking my sump out. I've got the sump shown below. Could I just add it to the overflow entrance area and have a fuge light over it? Thanks in advance for all your help.

00E0E_kgPEUu1AbWC_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it would go into the chamber before the pump chamber (3rd from left). However, most tanks set up that way usually have a double baffle and I usually put some kind of mech filter media there to keep the chaeto out of my pump chamber.

OP
OP
mrsaltwaterguy

mrsaltwaterguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's my problem as I've currently got my skimmer and reactors housed in that 3rd chamber. I don't have any experience with adding acrylic baffles and have limited room under the tank to be able to get in there and work.

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably put it in the first chamber and then light from the side or something. I don't know how you would light from above if you have more than one overflow into it, but it could be done.

OP
OP
mrsaltwaterguy

mrsaltwaterguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that light looks sharp. Like it. Some way of blocking the light w/o having to much contact with that lamp would be good too. You don't want to have something touching that lamp as it will probably be hot and a fire hazard, but keeping the light in that chamber would be sweet because I hate struggling to clean coralline out of my skimmer body where I get light overflow from the fuge light. I wouldn't think you would need to worry too much about the chaeto getting in the overflow socks and even if it does, you probably change them out regularly, so no biggie. That first chamber would also be nice to keep the ball rolling and not trapping debris. My chaeto sits on my extra LR and doesn't really tumble, so I have to manually pull out the stuff that starts looking scuzzy.

OP
OP
mrsaltwaterguy

mrsaltwaterguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tumbling Chaeto is actually beneficial? I was thinking I would have to create some sort of chamber with egg crate to restrict the movement.

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak from my experience of the top of it getting gross and having to clean it weekly to keep it clean. I always assumed that tumbling would keep it cleaner, but I don't have firsthand experience.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup zip ties. I also covered the whole thing in plastic canvas to make sure no chaeto makes its way out. I use a clip lamp I got at BB&B for $10

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup zip ties. I also covered the whole thing in plastic canvas to make sure no chaeto makes its way out. I use a clip lamp I got at BB&B for $10

Cool solution :) I need something like this in my sump! I have a 55g unbaffled and put a 10g in where the overflows come in and it just runs over the top and into the rest of the sump. Not so neat and tidy. I'd much prefer to have the chaeto somewhere else to it doesn't catch all the crap that makes it past the filter socks. May have to look into this.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking to add chaeto to my sump set up in order to breed pods and for nitrate reduction. I'm looking for some suggestions on how I could retro fit into my existing set up without taking my sump out. I've got the sump shown below. Could I just add it to the overflow entrance area and have a fuge light over it? Thanks in advance for all your help.

00E0E_kgPEUu1AbWC_600x450.jpg

Maybe you could split the middle section. Perhaps have and area for your skimmer and the rest a huge?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you at drilling glass?

I once joined (2) 10 gallon Aqueon tanks by drilling and connecting with bulkheads and PVC.

Maybe you can connect a 5 gallon to the far end in the same way to give you extra room for the fuge?

Back