Adding copedods - amount and frequency

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

72 gal RSR 350 with a newly added refugium with chaeto and other macros.

I added a jar of about 5000 tig pods when I set up the fuge a month or so ago. I have plenty of bio balls and block.

For livestock I have lots of coral, two nems, foxface, yellow tang, firefish, two clowns, a mandarin goby, a watchman and pistol, and some other shrimp and inverts.

Should I add more pods now, and if so, how many? And how often should I continue to add? Will it get to a point where they breed fast enough to keep the supply steady?

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I added a jar of about 5000 tig pods when I set up the fuge a month or so ago. I have plenty of bio balls and block.

For livestock I have lots of coral, two nems, foxface, yellow tang, firefish, two clowns, a mandarin goby, a watchman and pistol, and some other shrimp and inverts.

Should I add more pods now, and if so, how many? And how often should I continue to add? Will it get to a point where they breed fast enough to keep the supply steady?
For honest and experienced answers contact Reefs by Steele. He has several tanks himself and will give answers honestly!
Debra
PS my next order of ALL pods comes next week!

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Should I add more pods now, and if so, how many? And how often should I continue to add? Will it get to a point where they

Hey all,

How big is your mandarin? This will likely be your largest consumer of pods.

Did you add all pods to your refugium or some in display?

I personally added at least 3 different species every few months until I could pretty easily see them on the glass of the tank. I added tigs, tisbe, and cyclops.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your mandarin? This will likely be your largest consumer of pods.

Did you add all pods to your refugium or some in display?

I personally added at least 3 different species every few months until I could pretty easily see them on the glass of the tank. I added tigs, tisbe, and cyclops.
How many total did you add and what size is your tank?

Yeah from what I read mandarins can consume like over a thousand a day which is crazy!

I added half to fuge and half to tank.

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many total did you add and what size is your tank?

Yeah from what I read mandarins can consume like over a thousand a day which is crazy!

I added half to fuge and half to tank.
My tank with the mandarin is 45 gal display and 15 gal sump. When I originally seeded the tank I think I added 9 - 8oz bottles. 2 of each type in the display and 1 of each type in the sump. The place I buy from packs their bottles pretty dense.

I just setup a 115 gal and 30 gal sump and seeded with 6 - 8oz bottles. I can tell they reproduced quickly because I can see them all over the glass and in the sump.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank with the mandarin is 45 gal display and 15 gal sump. When I originally seeded the tank I think I added 9 - 8oz bottles. 2 of each type in the display and 1 of each type in the sump. The place I buy from packs their bottles pretty dense.

I just setup a 115 gal and 30 gal sump and seeded with 6 - 8oz bottles. I can tell they reproduced quickly because I can see them all over the glass and in the sump.
Ok I definitely need to add more then. I have another 10,000 coming, probably order another 20,000. Can you have too many pods in a tank? I mean, within reason?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I definitely need to add more then. I have another 10,000 coming, probably order another 20,000. Can you have too many pods in a tank? I mean, within reason?
Simple answer is no, you can’t have to many pods.Their population though, will depend on the food, phytoplankton, available.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back