Adding copepods for Mandarin Goby

nickenayat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have always wanted to keep a mandarin goby but I am also aware they need lots of copepods. I have an IM Nuvo nano 24 and am thinking to add a Refugium in the custom caddy. Also want suggestions for good brand of copepods to add or other tips on caring for the mandarin goby.
Thanks

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a perfect world we seed the tank first for a month or two with pods to make sure you have a healthy thriving population and than buy a Mandarin.
Yet a Nuvo 24 is IMO to small as the fish will go through the population an few days and the pods can't keep up with themselves to make new pods as you know what I mean.
If you have the fish already you need to buy a colony of pods every two weeks to keep up with the demand for food.
Mean while try to get the Mandarin to eat frozen Mysis soaked in a little garlic and vitamins.
What other fish you have in the tank?

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickenayat

nickenayat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a perfect world we seed the tank first for a month or two with pods to make sure you have a healthy thriving population and than buy a Mandarin.
Yet a Nuvo 24 is IMO to small as the fish will go through the population an few days and the pods can't keep up with themselves to make new pods as you know what I men.
If you have the fish already you need to buy a colony of pods every two weeks to keep up with the demand for food.
Mean while try to get the Mandarin to eat frozen Mysis soaked in a little garlic and vitamins.
What other fish you have in the tank?

I haven't got the fish yet because I agree they need a lot of copepods and want to establish a good population by creating the Refugium in the custom caddy and regularly add pods every two weeks as mentioned (Tods pods probably).

Here's my current coral and fish stock list:

Livestock
1 oscillaris clown
1 six line wrasse
1 fire shrimp
1 scarlet hermit
8 blue hermits
1 turbo grazer snail
2 other snails (not sure exactly)
2 sand sifting snails
1 purple base short tip anemone

Coral
1 green torch
2 small candy cane colonies
5 small zoanthid colonies (various types)
2 acan colonies
1 Hollywood stunner chalice
Some orange and red encrusting coral not sure
GSP

Looking forward to any other tips or advice for the mandarin care or getting a pod population to thrive.

IMG_6489.JPG
IMG_6490.JPG
IMG_6491.JPG
IMG_6497.JPG
IMG_6498.JPG

IMG_6494.JPG
IMG_6495.JPG
IMG_6496.JPG

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your six line is going to compete for food with the mandarin. And imo the tank is not large enough to house the mandarin. And even more so with your current fish list.

And like mentioned I use AlgaeBarn.com from the forum here for pods. Great service

OP
OP
nickenayat

nickenayat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your six line is going to compete for food with the mandarin. And imo the tank is not large enough to house the mandarin. And even more so with your current fish list.

And like mentioned I use AlgaeBarn.com from the forum here for pods. Great service

Do you think if I switched the wrasse out I could house the mandarin or just in general need a bigger tank or you feel the pod population will never be sufficient to sustain his appetite?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have always wanted to keep a mandarin goby but I am also aware they need lots of copepods. I have an IM Nuvo nano 24 and am thinking to add a Refugium in the custom caddy. Also want suggestions for good brand of copepods to add or other tips on caring for the mandarin goby.
Thanks
its a lot of work in a small tank. you have to feed hard esp at first to get them on frozen foods. a benefit is there's so much food(and alge cyano probably at that point) the pods explode. Mainly iso and amphi, but with luck mysis.
so your also learning how to feed a fish and bug population.

I did it in a 20 then 30 gal but the tank was EXPRESSLY Designed for a mandarin. Livestock was chosen expressly to not compete.
Id say start in that direction and let the bug pop grow and dont force it. Also look at Paulb, Melev, and Bob Fenner on feeding and training them.

In a large established tank its a bit easier. Also Mandys and Dragonettes need a bit different QT protocol as the need to be conditioned in QT on feeding(see messy tank notes above)as well as internal parasite treatments.

Its because of this the adage is the do best in a larger established tank. just more available food.

Its not undoable but its as easy as training a cat.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, if you not have the mandarin yet don't get one.
The six line wrasse is a ok fish but can by times turn into a bully when they get bigger and they will.
Ok now something positive for you NUVO........... maybe look into a Pygmy wrasse to swap out the six line.
Also in stead of a Mandarin go with a rubyred dragonet.
20151107_DSC9838_BenV-L.jpg

Much easier on the pods and more colorful.

Last edited:

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Six line will most likely pick on mandarin they do not like them for some reason. me personally I'll never buy another one they are little Devils.
If your dead set on having a mandarin ditch the six line and make a baby brine feeder new born brine are nutritious while they still have their yoke sack.

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Much easier on the pods and more colorful.[/QUOTE]

How much for one of these? And when you say easier on the pods what would I have to do to prep for one of these?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Much easier on the pods and more colorful.

How much for one of these? And when you say easier on the pods what would I have to do to prep for one of these?[/QUOTE]
See post 11. similar. But still best in a slightly more mature system. Mainly so there's more food/micro fauna in the system to feed the pods.
If a tank was started with dry rock alone I would wait quite a while. Does pretty well with med aggressive fish like clowns.
Id also look into a hang on back refugium just to make sure it has a bit better chance. My HOB fuge was $14+ an air pump and chato.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My HOB fuge was $14+ an air pump and chato.

Which one did you purchase?[/QUOTE]
This one.
https://www.amazon.com/Marina-Hang-...F8&qid=1486094185&sr=8-1&keywords=hob+breeder
You can also use a tiny 12v dc pump for it to but it hangs in the tank and gets clogged once in awhile. I like the air pump because more air in the system is just good. Getting a quite pump is the trick and its more $$in electricity.
You can also use a large aquaclear and cheap led strips. (google image search aquaclear refugium) and its pretty plug and play..
The one on my 30g now is an aquaclear 70(too small IMO) and has the 12v pump mod.

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one did you purchase?
This one.
https://www.amazon.com/Marina-Hang-...F8&qid=1486094185&sr=8-1&keywords=hob+breeder
You can also use a tiny 12v dc pump for it to but it hangs in the tank and gets clogged once in awhile. I like the air pump because more air in the system is just good. Getting a quite pump is the trick and its more $$in electricity.
You can also use a large aquaclear and cheap led strips. (google image search aquaclear refugium) and its pretty plug and play..
The one on my 30g now is an aquaclear 70(too small IMO) and has the 12v pump mod.[/QUOTE]
Lol i have this! Used it to house my cichlids that were holding. And I have a nice quiet air pump. How do you set up your fuge?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get it set up w chato, sprinkle the chato w flake food right on the top/ the pods should bloom. Also Id also keep it clean and free of detritus on the bottom.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back