Adding cured rock to sump

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I first set up my tank I bought a lot of live and dry rock that was cured for about 6mo. I took it home in a brute trash can and water covering it. For the past 9mo it's been in the brute with water and flow. No heat. If I wanted to add 10-20lbs to my sump fuge area would this cause a cycle? Am I better off doing one piece at a time?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first set up my tank I bought a lot of live and dry rock that was cured for about 6mo. I took it home in a brute trash can and water covering it. For the past 9mo it's been in the brute with water and flow. No heat. If I wanted to add 10-20lbs to my sump fuge area would this cause a cycle? Am I better off doing one piece at a time?

I would add it slowly over a week but I do not think you should see a cycle.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been checking salinity? Pull it out and give it a sniff and if it smells like rot then change the brutes water. If not then you can add it all at once as you are adding bacterial surface area. Main thing is to make sure the salinity didn't get very very salty

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you been checking salinity? Pull it out and give it a sniff and if it smells like rot then change the brutes water. If not then you can add it all at once as you are adding bacterial surface area. Main thing is to make sure the salinity didn't get very very salty
Ok, I've kept it covered the whole time, I'll check it today. If it's salty I assume bring it to normal then wait another few months?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If salinity is very high (<1.045 but I am guessing) then dilute with RO and wait 48 hours. If you can smell the rot and ammonia from die off then you should do water changes (2-3) over about 10 days. It takes a good amount of stress to kill bacteria and I would honestly use a sniff test and just add it in. Waiting a few months will do nothing for ya

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If salinity is very high (<1.045 but I am guessing) then dilute with RO and wait 48 hours. If you can smell the rot and ammonia from die off then you should do water changes (2-3) over about 10 days. It takes a good amount of stress to kill bacteria and I would honestly use a sniff test and just add it in. Waiting a few months will do nothing for ya
Ok I checked salinity tonight and it's at 32.1ppt. When I opened the brute it had a stale funky smell but not a rot smell. Are you saying to smell the rock itself out of the water?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back