Adding Dry Rock to a existing Tank?

David100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having a bit of a GHA problem and one of my rocks has pally on, Im not a big fan of them and it makes it particularly hard to clean.

Can I just toss out 50% of my rock and put in brand-new dry rock from my LFS? I have BIO Balls in the sump and id still have 50% live rock that would populate my bacteria? WOuld I need to consider anything? Would I cycle again? or have any ammonia issues or Po4 issues to consider?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above is better, but you can put some dry rock directly to established DT.
New dry rock will be initially colonized by algae, starting with diatoms and then if you lucky, followed by GHA, so problem with GHA will not be resolved.
I have done that, but with just one or two pieces I needed for something.

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As Bushdoc mentioned. Adding the new dry rock will not solve your problem. Wether you let it cycle in your sump for a bit before swapping it out, you are not treating the root of the problem. GHA can be quite annoying, but before resorting to removing rocks I would try to find if the problems is nutrient export issues, too much white light or even lack of flow can contribute. Once you fix the cause then if you are still keen on swapping rocks I would let them seed for a bit before doing the swap. If you don't treat first your new rock will be covered in GHA in no time.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back