Adding Extra Air Bubbles To Display

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks. One with hadoni's the other with gigantea's.
I use a air pump to inject air through my main return pump. This is done every hour for 5 min. only when lights are on. My anemoves seem to like the stimulation. Has anyone else tryed this.:neutral:

reeferJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way my display is setup, I have a cheapo surface skimmer that pulls surface scum from one tank, shoots it across some connected acrylic tubes to my other tank. Along with the surface scum, the skimmer sometimes pulls a little air which results in a burst of microbubbles that eventually break the surface like a crashing wave. I figure this has to help at least with gas exchange. It doesnt seem to bother any sps, just extra salt creep to deal with.

reeferJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told it could cause problems with the gills of my fish if the bubbles were a 24/7 thing

OP
OP
greg 45

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont run bubbles 24/7 . they are on a timer they only come on for 5min every hour.
All fish in ocean are around a surge, surge devices add air with water movement.
Also there must be air bubbles when waves crash on beaches .
So far there has been improvement in my tank. Anemones look healthier, also fish dont run and hide when this happens.

reeferJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont run bubbles 24/7 . they are on a timer they only come on for 5min every hour.
All fish in ocean are around a surge, surge devices add air with water movement.
Also there must be air bubbles when waves crash on beaches .
So far there has been improvement in my tank. Anemones look healthier, also fish dont run and hide when this happens.

I agree. I've been trying this for about six months now, and havent had any issues with the livestock. Im not sure how much its helping the tank overall, but its def not causing any problems.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add air to my koralia at night. I just have an air pump with dual output and run a hose to one K3 on each side. It goes off at 2am and 3am. I do that cause it is loud and we are upstairs asleep.

This is an old video:

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do get more than usual bu I have a canopy and keep after it pretty good. I probably won't continue it when I upgrade to my 220 since it will be an open top.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back