Adding Fish for pest control - 13.5 gallon

EastonsReef

Reef Madness!
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2025
Messages
305
Reaction score
492
Location
Tupelo, MS
What state or country do you live in
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval 13.5 gallon that currently houses a single clownfish, fire shrimp, pistol shrimp, and brittlestar. Earlier this week I saw a cute little nudibranch on my glass heading towards my zoa rack, I even took a video. Then I find out that zoa eating nudis exist. Some small worms have started spreading a little too aggressive for me as well so I'd like to add a wrasse to help combat things before it gets out of hand.

Problem is, it's a pretty small tank. I was planning to add another Yasha (after a new lid, RIP Yasharobi) and a tailspot blenny in the future but I think utility takes priority here.

What are my options? Any chance this nudi was just wrong place wrong time? Video is below.
 
I have a fluval 13.5 gallon that currently houses a single clownfish, fire shrimp, pistol shrimp, and brittlestar. Earlier this week I saw a cute little nudibranch on my glass heading towards my zoa rack, I even took a video. Then I find out that zoa eating nudis exist. Some small worms have started spreading a little too aggressive for me as well so I'd like to add a wrasse to help combat things before it gets out of hand.

Problem is, it's a pretty small tank. I was planning to add another Yasha (after a new lid, RIP Yasharobi) and a tailspot blenny in the future but I think utility takes priority here.

What are my options? Any chance this nudi was just wrong place wrong time? Video is below.
The best one I will always opt for…
Pink Streak Wrasses (Pseudocheilinops ataenia).

Theyre elusive and difficult to get hold of but within the last few years demand has increased and well, the supply chain looks at what people are wanting the most. So they are more available than they used to be.

Plus, if you like sixlines but don’t want that territorial behaviour, these guys are ideal.
Just look at my male (I have a pair that spawn quite readily in my Macro tank).
IMG_5699.jpeg

IMG_5698.jpeg


For their behaviour/care this is an article I wrote a couple years back.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pseudocheilinops-ataenia-the-wrasse-with-bug-eyes.881/
 
This is one I looked into. I think it's going to be the winner too.

I'll end up upgrading to a bigger tank within a year so it will be a nice addition to that as well. I'm a big fan of more small fish vs less bigger fish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new