Adding fish to reef

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just looking for some advice on adding a fish or two to my reef. I currently have a 92 corner with a yellow tang, purple tang, pair of clowns, royal gramma, 6 line wrasse, flame angel, and a gold assessor. I have upgraded my sump to a 30 gallon with a reef octopus sro 5000sss. It’s supposed to be good for 500 gallons. I figured with this upgrade I can and a little to my bioload. I was thinking of adding a Fox face. But I’m looking for any suggestions. Thanks

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a foxface would be fine; just keep an eye on him at first for any aggression between him and the tangs. You could always add some more wrasses too- they're beautiful little torpedoes. If the tank is well established and you're up for the challenge, a copper-banded butterfly fish would fit well too. Avoid the larger species of tangs though.

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I figured no more tangs because I’m only 92 gallons and I feel lucky these two get along so well. Wrasses are a great idea too, I really like fairy wrasses. What is the difficult part of the copper banded bitter fly fish? Diet?

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do yourself a favor and don’t add any wrasses! you already have 6 liner which will be pain in the a... never had one but after reading numerous posts it will never be in my reef. if that would be my tank i would put like 2 gobies. if you get rid of six line wrasse you could put 3 different ones( fairy or flasher)

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What don’t you like about 6 line wrasses? I have had no issues with mine.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six-line wrasses have a reputation for becoming aggressive, especially with other wrasses and fish introduced after the six-line. I had one for a while with no problems, but I gotta say, the guy had a sketchy personality. If you met a human with the same personality coming toward you on the sidewalk, you might find a reason to cross the street...

Copperband butterflies can be difficult to get started feeding. They're used to picking things from the rock, and often don't recognize a drifting mysis as something they can eat. Once they get started, they're moderately OK ... for a butterflyfish.

~Bruce

penguin_free

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard about the six line wrasse being aggressive as well. I guess I'm lucky my six line, juvi red coris, and yelloy 'coris' all get along with no issues in my 120.

I tried the purple tang with my yellow too... the yellow aggroed the purple so badly on the first evening that I was able to net him out of the 120 and move him to the 56 gal, where he has done fantastic with the goldrim. Only reason I even tried another zebrasoma with my yellow was that I had just lost a sailfin that had been getting along with the yellow previously (that 3 day power outage back in february)

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s always a bummer. I have had good luck with everyone getting along so far. That’s why I want to add another fish. And with the huge skimmer I figured the bioload would not be to much.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back