Adding fish to tank w/ diatoms?

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem to be having an early emergence of diatoms in my 1 month old tank. I have 2 small fish in the tank and a small 3 snail CUC. I have 2 other fish in qurantine. My question is should I wait out the bloom before introducing the new fish? Or does that not really matter?

Not knowing much I still assume it's probably best to wait to add them because it's just adding more stress to the bioload.

mpoletiek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I continued to add fish (one a week in my 165) when I had a diatom bloom.

My understanding is diatoms depend heavily on silicates and adding fish wasn't adding silicate.

About 2 weeks after the bloom began and completely took over it started dieing off and the green algae started coming in.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I continued to add fish (one a week in my 165) when I had a diatom bloom.

My understanding is diatoms depend heavily on silicates and adding fish wasn't adding silicate.

About 2 weeks after the bloom began and completely took over it started dieing off and the green algae started coming in.
These 2 fish have another week and half in the quarantine tank, by that point i assume to tank will be full bloom based off how quickly its forming.

mpoletiek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These 2 fish have another week and half in the quarantine tank, by that point i assume to tank will be full bloom based off how quickly its forming.
What are you concerned about? Diatoms aren't harmful to fish from what I know. Fish also don't contribute to diatom outbreaks.

Again, based on my limited knowledge and experience in saltwater, diatoms will come and go and are a part of a diverse biodiversity. They'll die off just as quickly as they came and then you'll have new problems :)

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you concerned about? Diatoms aren't harmful to fish from what I know. Fish also don't contribute to diatom outbreaks.

Again, based on my limited knowledge and experience in saltwater, diatoms will come and go and are a part of a diverse biodiversity. They'll die off just as quickly as they came and then you'll have new problems :)
more so that adding fish which will increase amount of food/waste in the system. the tank will be trying to reach an equilibrium because of the new fish and there will also be a diatom bloom. wasnt sure if that would lead to additional algae issues.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more so that adding fish which will increase amount of food/waste in the system. the tank will be trying to reach an equilibrium because of the new fish and there will also be a diatom bloom. wasnt sure if that would lead to additional algae issues.
As @mpoletiek has stated, diatom blooms are almost always caused by excess silicates in the tank -- something only often seen in new tanks, or when a lot of sand is added to an established tank (this is not recommended). You can, however, create many other issues by suddenly increasing your bioload. Adding quarantined fish slowly over a longer period is often recommended -- unless you have very specific stocking issues which require multiple fish to be added at the same time.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back