Adding flame angel with an existing cherub

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just received a beautiful flame angel. I have an existing cherub that has been in tank for about 4-5 months. Can a flame and a cherub coexist in a 4 foot tank. Thinking I’ll be upgrading to a 60” tank in roughly a year. Let me know your thoughts and experience if this is possible. Thanks!!

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just received a beautiful flame angel. I have an existing cherub that has been in tank for about 4-5 months. Can a flame and a cherub coexist in a 4 foot tank. Thinking I’ll be upgrading to a 60” tank in roughly a year. Let me know your thoughts and experience if this is possible. Thanks!!
IME, no. I added a flame angel to my 55 and it's definitely the king of the tank, If there was another angel in there he would certainly try to kill it.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a CRNA too so I know you’ll trust my opinion.

…I’m not sure hahaha

I have a coral beauty, lemon peel, and 2 Watanabei angels. I guess I like angels haha.

I would like to add a flame Angel but I’m most worried about the coral beauty. So I’m jumping in on this thread to see if I can learn something

Last edited:

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CB with a flame back in a 5ft. tank. The flame chased the CB a little the first day but after that no issues. Most of the time they hang out together now. Also have a swallow tail in the same tank no issues. I have a flame angel in another tank. If they are both small I think you would be fine. Might be a squabble but it will quickly die down especially if there's plenty of rock work to explore. I'll also add that I have some bigger tangs that won't stand for any aggression and move in as soon as somebody starts some BS. Just keep them well fed and I think they'll be fine.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a CRNA too so I know you’ll trust my opinion.

…I’m not sure hahaha

I have a coral beauty, lemon peel, and 2 Watanabei angels. I guess I like angels haha.

I would like to add a flame Angel but I’m most worried about the coral beauty. So I’m jumping in on this thread to see if I can learn something
Where do you practice. I’m in louisiana. Been out of school about two years now.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0883.jpeg

Most recent FTS to see what my rock work looks like. Lots of caves and crevices. My cherub is about 1.5 inches and the flame to potentially be added is about an inch.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you practice. I’m in louisiana. Been out of school about two years now.
I’m in Indiana near Chicago…but we don’t associate with them lol.

I saw you’re in Shreveport. I grew up close to there in E TX. And we make it back frequently.

There’s a coral farm in Tyler, TX if you don’t know already

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Indiana near Chicago…but we don’t associate with them lol.

I saw you’re in Shreveport. I grew up close to there in E TX. And we make it back frequently.

There’s a coral farm in Tyler, TX if you don’t know already
I was just in Tyler this past weekend for a men’s conference but sadly not enough time to shop. Fraghous corals is there and I have bought a few sticks from them. Love their stuff.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just in Tyler this past weekend for a men’s conference but sadly not enough time to shop. Fraghous corals is there and I have bought a few sticks from them. Love their stuff.
Nice, Tyler is where I did all my ICU work prior to anesthesia.
I was also on the flight service there before nursing

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0883.jpeg

Most recent FTS to see what my rock work looks like. Lots of caves and crevices. My cherub is about 1.5 inches and the flame to potentially be added is about an inch.
Normally I would say no but you have good rock space and you are introducing them at small size so it might work especially if upgrade tank in short term.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have to give it a go! Have a spare tank running as coral qt in the event they butt heads while the flame is in the breeder box I can house them seperate to rehome.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have to give it a go! Have a spare tank running as coral qt in the event they butt heads while the flame is in the breeder box I can house them seperate to rehome.
Make sure you have sponge in their diet to prevent coral nipping and hopefully restrict aggression.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent advice, is there a commercially available food that contains sponge and designed for angels? I have had cherubs for years and never had an issue with nipping.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent advice, is there a commercially available food that contains sponge and designed for angels? I have had cherubs for years and never had an issue with nipping.
"Angel Formula," although I'm skeptical that it would keep a nipper from nipping.

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept multiple dwarfs together several times over the years. The acclimation box is your friend. Leave the flame in it for up to two weeks until you can tell both fish have given up on getting at each other. If its possible to move a rock or two around in the tank, that is always beneficial. When you introduce the flame, go a day without lights... it wont hurt coral or anything, this will disorient them some. Then when you bring the lights back on the next day they should be fooled. You will always have some minor squabbling at first, but remember, they have to establish their territories. This is my personal experience. Best of luck!

BTW Pygmy Angel Formula is the food you are after, feed it often.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frozen mega marine cubes have sponge mixed in. I feed them few times a week along with spirulina mysis and brine

20231030_140216.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back