Adding GSP for nutrient export?

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but will adding GSP (or some other fast growing coral) to my back wall help with N and P export?
Seems to me like it should, but looking for people that have experience with this.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely been done with xenia but they also harvest it to physically remove it. Unless you harvest the GSP it will just be tied up in their biomass which is still helpful just not "export".

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is to reduce residual N and P. I see your point to it not being true "export" as the nutrients will be used by and contained in the coral as it grows, but not actually removed from the system. That's how they all grow, right?
I guess the bigger question is; will it be enough to make any measurable difference in residual levels?

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but will adding GSP (or some other fast growing coral) to my back wall help with N and P export?
Seems to me like it should, but looking for people that have experience with this.
I use Xenia in my sump as an export. Would not do it in the main display but it definitely works for trapping and removal of excess nutrients

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back