Adding ledge for bar seating around aquarium

gypsyboy38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building an SCA150 that will put in one of the corners in our basement. Above and below the tank will be drywall finished, with all access coming from the fish room behind the tank.

My plan was to put bar seating around the aquarium, with an L-shaped piece of quartz or granite wrapping around the two exposed sides. Originally, I was going to get a custom steel stand with a ledge for the bar top, but I realized this would likely make it impossible to get into the basement ‍♂️. Now I am at a loss on how to add an overhang. My two current thoughts are:

- extend the plywood base out ~12" and add additional support with support legs and/or corbels
- put the countertop under the aquarium, with 12" extending on the two exposed sides

I am not a huge fan of the second option, because I wanted the aquarium slightly inset.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually work for a quartz and granite countertop company for a living. I do measuring and deal with all the structural aspects. Your easiest/best bet would be to built a knee or pony wall around the steel stand and then use these brackets for added support. This would allow the stand to be fit into the basement. Otherwise I’d just do a full wooden stand with these same brackets.

That website has a bunch of different style of brackets. So maybe it will jolt an idea looking through them all. They also do custom order brackets.

also, I would 100% recommend quartz over a granite. Quartz is non-porous and a LOT stronger.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am in the process of building an SCA150 that will put in one of the corners in our basement. Above and below the tank will be drywall finished, with all access coming from the fish room behind the tank.

My plan was to put bar seating around the aquarium, with an L-shaped piece of quartz or granite wrapping around the two exposed sides. Originally, I was going to get a custom steel stand with a ledge for the bar top, but I realized this would likely make it impossible to get into the basement ‍♂️. Now I am at a loss on how to add an overhang. My two current thoughts are:

- extend the plywood base out ~12" and add additional support with support legs and/or corbels
- put the countertop under the aquarium, with 12" extending on the two exposed sides

I am not a huge fan of the second option, because I wanted the aquarium slightly inset.
A picture of what you're planning would really help - i.e a drawing. But - it sounds interesting.

I'm not sure I would have the 'ledge' have anything to do with the aquarium. I would have a contractor build it into the drywall (assuming that thats not already done? To ME it would be nice to have no legs, etc under the ledge - but just a free-floating piece - but granite is heavy (as you know)

OP
OP
G

gypsyboy38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually work for a quartz and granite countertop company for a living. I do measuring and deal with all the structural aspects. Your easiest/best bet would be to built a knee or pony wall around the steel stand and then use these brackets for added support. This would allow the stand to be fit into the basement. Otherwise I’d just do a full wooden stand with these same brackets.

That website has a bunch of different style of brackets. So maybe it will jolt an idea looking through them all. They also do custom order brackets.

also, I would 100% recommend quartz over a granite. Quartz is non-porous and a LOT stronger.

Thank you! I knew someone would have a better idea than me!

Yes, I was likely going to go with quartz to match the counter in our kitchen, but that decision is more up to the boss than me...

Mainly, I just want to be doing this, down by the aquarium.
1640025951162.png

OP
OP
G

gypsyboy38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture of what you're planning would really help - i.e a drawing. But - it sounds interesting.

I'm not sure I would have the 'ledge' have anything to do with the aquarium. I would have a contractor build it into the drywall (assuming that thats not already done? To ME it would be nice to have no legs, etc under the ledge - but just a free-floating piece - but granite is heavy (as you know)

Obviously the dimensions are all off, but this is basically what I am wanting to do.
fish tank.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Obviously the dimensions are all off, but this is basically what I am wanting to do.
fish tank.png
Awesome. That looks really nice. I especially like the no 'brackets' under the shelf - which is what I was trying to get across in my post:). Good luck no matter how you decide to do it. quartz - as someone else said - is a good idea perhaps.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously the dimensions are all off, but this is basically what I am wanting to
fish tank.png
These brackets would be perfect for what you’re looking for then.

As far as granite goes, because it’s porous, even water rings can potentially stain the stone. Let alone spills or accidents. For a bar, this is very important and why I would recommend quartz. As far as brackets goes you’ll need twice as many brackets for granite vs quartz. A 3CM quartz can get by with 24” bracket spacing. For granite we recommend 12” spacing due to granite being much more fragile.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd go for the steel stand...perhaps with the countertop braces designed to bolt on later once its in the basement...or have the fab guy weld them on onsite...i'm supporting an 18 inch overhang with six 2 1/2 x 1/2 steel plates an a 7 1/2 ft island....1/4 would probably be fine for only a foot

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man... now I want to do this with my upgrade...

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of a bar and stools in front of your tank.
My wife had me build a little bench in front of my inwall tank and it gets used a lot more than I thought it would!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did this with my 400g I. The fishroom. So glad I did! I built a steel stand, and then put a 1 inch melamine sheet on it. The display is 8x3x2 so the 4x8 sheet sticks out 12 inches. It has no under support but I still walk on it, I'm 195 pounds.

Attachments

• 20210830_220738.jpg
    20210830_220738.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210711_165325.jpg
    20210711_165325.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 42

casey012293

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would anyone be concerned about guests sitting at the bar going “and a little for the fishes” and dumping a little of their drink in, or is it just me being 30 and knowing I might have done that before knowing how delicate the chemistry is? A huge bacteria bloom from that kind of carbon dose would suck.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would anyone be concerned about guests sitting at the bar going “and a little for the fishes” and dumping a little of their drink in, or is it just me being 30 and knowing I might have done that before knowing how delicate the chemistry is? A huge bacteria bloom from that kind of carbon dose would suck.
That's a problem with having parties of any kind whether there's a bar directly at the tank or not.

If there's people you don't know, lock that room or at least put a lid on the tank and clamp it down.

Otherwise, make very clear that nothing goes in or touches the water or people get kicked out

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back