Adding live rock to an established reef tank

If you were near me in California, I’d take it! Can’t wait to see pics when you catch him
 
I added live rock among doing other things to beat dino and add diversity. adding live rock by itself probably won’t work but it won’t hurt. problem is you gotta get rid of as much dino’s as you can and then add the diversity and make conditions for more desirable stuff to outcompete the dino, otherwise it will just take over the new live rock.

as far as quarantine, i put mine in a bucket with a heater and air stone for about a week to watch it. good thing i did because i found some aptasia and a mantis shrimp.

if you’re interested, here is a link to detail more of what i did.
Post in thread 'Removing sand to get rid of amphidinium dinos'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...id-of-amphidinium-dinos.1017039/post-12004717
 
Hi everyone. Quick question. I'm currently battling dinos in my tank. Tank is about 14 months old and was started with dry rock and live sand. Nutrients look good so I'm pretty sure it's just a biome imbalance from the dry rock start up. Would like to add a piece of live rock from my LFS for some diversification. What's the best way to ensure I'm not getting any unwanted hitchhikers and just the good bacteria? Quarantine? Fresh water dip? Hypersalinity? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Consider using a quarantine tank for sure!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new