Adding live rock to an established reef tank

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were near me in California, I’d take it! Can’t wait to see pics when you catch him

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added live rock among doing other things to beat dino and add diversity. adding live rock by itself probably won’t work but it won’t hurt. problem is you gotta get rid of as much dino’s as you can and then add the diversity and make conditions for more desirable stuff to outcompete the dino, otherwise it will just take over the new live rock.

as far as quarantine, i put mine in a bucket with a heater and air stone for about a week to watch it. good thing i did because i found some aptasia and a mantis shrimp.

if you’re interested, here is a link to detail more of what i did.
Post in thread 'Removing sand to get rid of amphidinium dinos'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...id-of-amphidinium-dinos.1017039/post-12004717

Fantastic Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Quick question. I'm currently battling dinos in my tank. Tank is about 14 months old and was started with dry rock and live sand. Nutrients look good so I'm pretty sure it's just a biome imbalance from the dry rock start up. Would like to add a piece of live rock from my LFS for some diversification. What's the best way to ensure I'm not getting any unwanted hitchhikers and just the good bacteria? Quarantine? Fresh water dip? Hypersalinity? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Consider using a quarantine tank for sure!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back