Adding live sand to young system

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local coral farm has offered me some aragonite covered in coralline to help seed my system with some biodiversity. The sand is around 30 years wet. From the ocean, he pointed at a massive dead clam and said that is was eaten by the bacteria in like a week lol

should i do it? Any possible negative side effects?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has really asked them for it before, it was just an idea I had. The kid there (owners son) said he uses it to instantly start tanks
I mean I don't know how they run their tank or anything but it sounds like a really good opportunity to add some diversity to your microbiome!...if it really has been in there for 30+ years it's obviously fully matured and if they're system is successful that's partial evidence of a successful microbiome... (And everything carries some risk...some of the best aquaculture facilities and successful hobbyists use natural seawater straight from the ocean and don't have problems...if it's a good coral farm I'd definitely go for it personally)

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I don't know how they run their tank or anything but it sounds like a really good opportunity to add some diversity to your microbiome!...if it really has been in there for 30+ years it's obviously fully matured and if they're system is successful that's partial evidence of a successful microbiome... (And everything carries some risk...some of the best aquaculture facilities and successful hobbyists use natural seawater straight from the ocean and don't have problems...if it's a good coral farm I'd definitely go for it personally)
I think I will go for it. The tank itself is basically a massive pond filled with giant clams and anemones. The place itself is insane and the fact that the animals are all thriving leads me to believe the sand would be a healthy addition

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will go for it. The tank itself is basically a massive pond filled with giant clams and anemones. The place itself is insane and the fact that the animals are all thriving leads me to believe the sand would be a healthy addition
There's probably a lot more healthy bacteria in there than just nitrifying bacteria as well

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local coral farm has offered me some aragonite covered in coralline to help seed my system with some biodiversity. The sand is around 30 years wet. From the ocean, he pointed at a massive dead clam and said that is was eaten by the bacteria in like a week lol

should i do it? Any possible negative side effects?
Beyond basic pest risk? no.

Maybe carefully remove some of the old sand so you don't end up with a massive amount of sand and get deadzones.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back