Adding LR to Fuge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NanaReefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2011
Messages
7,212
Reaction score
1,687
Location
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it cause me any issues if I added 2lbs of Figi Premium LR to my fuge? Need I do anything to it before hand? LMK as it will be here tomorrow :)

Tanks been running for 9wks already. No rock in fuge.
 
If the rock is live then you shouldn't have any problems at all. If there is any die off from the new rock the exsisting bacteria should take care of it.
 
I have rock in my fuge right now but I am considering taking it out. I get a lot of detritus build up in there and it is a pain to get out with the live rock in there. I am sure there are ways to avoid this but the way my sump is set up I cant avoid it.
 
I'd keep an eye on NH3, NO2, and NO3 just to be on the safe side, but that is a very small amount of rock. Are there any fish or inverts in the tank and how big is the display tank? I mean 2lbs of rock can be a lot depending on the size of the tank.
 
DT is a 40B/20L sump. I have 25lbs of dry reef saver rock (cured with Bio-Pronto Marine for 2wks) in the DT, 80lbs of live sand, in sump skimmer rated 65g.

Fuge area is 13L x 12W x8H lots of Chaeto live SB.
 
Any fish or inverts/coral yet? I don't think the chaeto is going to do much with the ammonia until it's processed by bacteria into nitrate.
 
Last edited:
I keep live rock in my refugium to allow surface area for filter feeders like worms and sponges to grow it seems to help with the overall filtration also provides a source of food for newer fish that may prefer sponges and other live rock growth
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new