Adding more cuc

BRS

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So I need to add more cuc to my 32 gallon Biocube. I have 5 trochus snails (although there’s only one that’s mature and 4 are almost penny size) and 8 astrea snails. I have cyano and detritus building up on the sandbed and a little bit of film algae on some of my rocks (cyano and detritus are my main concerns though). I plan to get a fighting conch (or some kind of conch), nassarius snails, and a few more trochus snails. Also…. an urchin? Should I? How many of each would you recommend?

Click to watch best scape method in 5 easy steps!

dvgyfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
13. 5 trochus and 8 astrea. No hermits but I’m not going to add them because of predation
I don’t usually see my snails on the sand bed besides the nassarius but they don’t eat algae too often, I would recommend a conch for the sandbed. I kno you said you don’t like hermits but they are unmatched at eating algae off the rocks / sand while snails clean the glass. My hermits haven’t killed any snails and are unbothered they do steal shells from each other tho

OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I don’t usually see my snails on the sand bed besides the nassarius but they don’t eat algae too often, I would recommend a conch for the sandbed. I kno you said you don’t like hermits but they are unmatched at eating algae off the rocks / sand while snails clean the glass. My hermits haven’t killed any snails and are unbothered they do steal shells from each other tho
I guess I’ll have to reconsider hermits. What about an urchin. You have any experience with those?

Top Shelf Aquatics

dvgyfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I guess I’ll have to reconsider hermits. What about an urchin. You have any experience with those?
Yes I also have two urchins lol , they are algae eating machines. I think tuxedo is the most reef safe of all but all urchins can eat soft coral from time to time , they usually prefer coraline algae to eat. I have a pencil urchin that I willl be getting rid of - it likes to eat my feather dusters tubes/ GSP but you can tell where it has gone because the rocks will have white lines

Clo

NO SELF CONTROL | IG: @CrescentReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I decided not to get an urchin after reading around because they apparently eat coralline algae and LOVE to move frags around.

I do have a conch (Michael), and we get along great. They're so ugly they're cute. Mine always makes laps around the tank keeping himself busy eating.

OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I decided not to get an urchin after reading around because they apparently eat coralline algae and LOVE to move frags around.

I do have a conch (Michael), and we get along great. They're so ugly they're cute. Mine always makes laps around the tank keeping himself busy eating.
I’ll probably not get an urchin then.

Does anyone know how many nassarius snails and trochus snails I should get along with 1 conch

dvgyfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

It’s kinda cool seeing yr urchin carrying GSP tho ! Only tuxedo urchins like to wear stuff haha

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My experience had been hermits kill snails as you said before. I like urchins. I've had diadema urchins and tuxedos. Both are safe but the tuxedo picks up anything not glued down.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My experience had been hermits kill snails as you said before. I like urchins. I've had diadema urchins and tuxedos. Both are safe but the tuxedo picks up anything not glued down.
Only thing not glued down is livestock

Clo

NO SELF CONTROL | IG: @CrescentReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Is he a tiger conch?
I’m unsure what conch to get….fighting, tiger, strawberry, etc
I /think/ he's a tiger conch. And I say think because I ordered him from reefcleaners as an assorted juvie. But when I looked up the assortments they pull from, tiger conch fit his appearance best. :)

I think it depends on what you can find in your area!

davidcalgary29

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Add a tuxedo urchin. They're the hardiest of all the aquarium urchins (not to mention the easiest to handle). One widely-published study indicates that urchins cannot be part of the chain of transmission for ich and can be placed in your tank after being given a rinse of clean saltwater.

dvgyfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So does this sound like a good addition to my 5 trochus and 8 astrea snails in my biocube 32:
3 Nassarius
1 conch (of some sort)
3 more large trochus
Pic of tank with algae? Sounds like a good lineup Justin note that nassarius are carnivore and don’t really eat algae- well I gues omnivore lol but mostly like left overs

OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Pic of tank with algae? Sounds like a good lineup Justin note that nassarius are carnivore and don’t really eat algae- well I gues omnivore lol but mostly like left overs
I have enough detritus in my sandbed I believe. Not like nothings there. Here’s pic of tank
85885516-0275-4F1F-9673-84F81CF4AF0A.jpeg

It’s very hard to tell from this photo but the white rocks I added in recently are a little more green now, the cyano on the sandbed is light in the front where there’s more flow and stringy in the back where the low flow is.

dvgyfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have enough detritus in my sandbed I believe. Not like nothings there. Here’s pic of tank
85885516-0275-4F1F-9673-84F81CF4AF0A.jpeg

It’s very hard to tell from this photo but the white rocks I added in recently are a little more green now, the cyano on the sandbed is light in the front where there’s more flow and stringy in the back where the low flow is.
Oh that looks pretty clean! I think what you suggested is good for now , an urchin would clean that back glass for ya

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
BRS

What is the best "cleaning product" or home recipe for cleaning reef tank equipment?

• Water and scrubbing

Votes: 43 13.5%
  • Citric Acid

Votes: 160 50.2%
  • Vinegar

Votes: 98 30.7%
  • Hydrogen peroxide

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Lemon Juice

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 3.1%