Adding new Life Rock to existing system

BuddyVanDoodle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a piece of brand new life rock and was wondering how the best way to add it to a system that’s been going about two years now. I was planning on taking some water from the tank during a water change, adding it to a bucket with a heater and a small powerhead. Then I was going to add some microbacter7 and feed with some flakes or pellets and let sit for about a month probably. Would this be okay or will I start a mini cycle? Or should I just not add to system at all. The reason for this, is I have ONE smaller/medium rock with hydroids on it. Has been there pretty much since I started the tank and has never spread but now I’m running out of room for frags and need the realty. I was going to take the rock with the hydroids and just put it in the refugium. And advice is welcome.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a big depends, how big is the tank and how big is the rock. Opinions will vary but I’ve placed small less than 2lb rocks into a mature large tank without issue. Also depends if its commercial rock and dry or semi-alive, et. How long has the DT been set up?
Hydroids? I thought some types of butterflies eat them, but following because I didn’t know they could be a issue

OP
OP
BuddyVanDoodle

BuddyVanDoodle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard copperband eat them but that’s it. Everything I’ve read online says that’s what they’ve “heard”. But I don’t want the hydroids to sting my sps . The rock is probably about two pounds be my best guess without weighing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back