Adding New Livestock?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my birthday is coming up in about a month and I really want to add something to my tank for the occasion.
I currently have 20 gallon tank with:
11lbs of live rock
20 lbs of live sand
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 cleaner shrimp
4 hermit crabs
4 margarita snails
1 emerald crab

I would maybe like to add some corals to this tank, or maybe an anemone for my clowns. Ive also thought about adding a new fish *if its possible with my current setup*, like a goby or smth. Tell me what you think #reefsquad
*Also i made a new account because the first one i made was not supposed to be used so i made this one. dont judge XD. So if youve seen this thread already now you know *

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy almost birthday! Wow, I can think of a lot of things to add...
I would avoid anemones for now until you know you can keep corals happy, it's just too risky and anemones are expensive. For corals, I would recommend you start with zoanthids, candy canes, hammers or mushrooms, they are all hardy and can do well in that setup.
It could be cool to try a jawfish, as long as you're sand is at least 2.5" deep. A pistol shrimp and goby pair could be awesome too, just make sure you have a lid on the tank just in case, gobies and jawfish are jumpy.
Good luck! Happy almost birthday and God bless!

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid anemones for now until you know you can keep corals happy, it's just too risky and anemones are expensive. For corals, I would recommend you start with zoanthids, candy canes, hammers or mushrooms, they are all hardy and can do well in that setup.
It could be cool to try a jawfish, as long as you're sand is at least 2.5" deep. A pistol shrimp and goby pair could be awesome too, just make sure you have a lid on the tank just in case, gobies and jawfish are jumpy.
Thanks dude. i do love zoas and mushrooms :).

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a watchman goby work in a 20g?

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R!!!! It's very exciting having a reef tank. How long has it been setup? Do you check your Alk, Kh, Mg and salinity often? How are you nitrate and phosphate?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you tank is more than 6 months mature and you go for the nem, in a 20g, then corals are basically out. Unless your ok with it killing a few once in a while as it moves.

If you got Minimum 2-2.5” of a Fiji pink size substrate, I think the YWG is a great addition to your existing friends and you could add a lot of corals as you go.

9071CD1F-B61F-48ED-BB84-9F9002B4D457.jpeg

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R!!!! It's very exciting having a reef tank. How long has it been setup? Do you check your Alk, Kh, Mg and salinity often? How are you nitrate and phosphate?
Its been setup for about 3-4 months now, and my birthday is in august. All my water parameters are stable :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mushrooms, firefish goby and coral banded or Cleaner shrimp

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back