Adding pajama cardinals

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank with a couple pajamas that I'd like to shut down. It's a 75g and I have another 75 with a few fish already in there: an adult lawnmower blenny, an adult melanurus wrasse, a juvie fairy wrasse, a juvie clown and an adult clown, and a juvie blenny (forgot what kind).
The Pajamas are adults and behave well. However I've never seen them with smaller fish. I just read that adults can be fed "feeder fish" and that set off an alarm with me. I don't want to find missing fish.
I usually set up ab aclimation tank that lets the dt water flow though it, then observe how well my new fish get along with the local ones, but cardinals don't really show signs of typical aggression. At least thats what I've read.
Has anyone experienced pajamas picking off their smaller tankmates??

David

Gary S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven't. However if this were my deal I'd separate them even with the possibility nothing would happen. You can set up a temporary holding basin by using a clear clean Tupperware storage box, a small water pump, an air bubbler, and heater. This will work until you figure out what to do with them. Why are you shutting it down?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of the PJ cardinal eating other fish. They can be jerks to each other, but I haven't heard of any problems with them and other fish.

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven't. However if this were my deal I'd separate them even with the possibility nothing would happen. You can set up a temporary holding basin by using a clear clean Tupperware storage box, a small water pump, an air bubbler, and heater. This will work until you figure out what to do with them. Why are you shutting it down?
Why would you decide to keep them seperated?
I just have too many tanks up. I want to consolidate them. Eventually everything will go into a 125g. That is, if they all get along.

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of the PJ cardinal eating other fish. They can be jerks to each other, but I haven't heard of any problems with them and other fish.
Thats pretty good news. These 2 guys have been together for about 5 years. I got them about a year and a half ago. They are pretty chill. Like I said, I was concerned when I read that adult Pajamas can be fed feeder fish.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The should be fine with smaller tank mates. However, with smaller pajamas that are new to tank, ime probably not. Although most wouldn’t agree with that, that has been my experience, in my tank, with my established pajamas, and I tried more than once

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The should be fine with smaller tank mates. However, with smaller pajamas that are new to tank, ime probably not. Although most wouldn’t agree with that, that has been my experience, in my tank, with my established pajamas, and I tried more than once
Experience is the best advice, imo. Thanks.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%

Back