Adding rock to established tank

NuckChorris

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2021
Messages
68
Reaction score
27
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to add some more rock to my tank to have more space for acro placement, but I don’t want to cause any chemistry issues.

Should I cycle the rocks in a separate tub with saltwater for awhile before adding? I don’t want to spike Po4. And I’ll use dry rock because I don’t want to get hitchhikers like mantis shrimp.

Can anyone share their experiences doing this?
 
You can cycle them in advance, that will work, or you can put them in your sump for a month. Or if it is just a few rocks, you can add them straight to the display tank, I find that adding a couple of white rocks to a mature tank won't really cause it to grow algae. But if its a lot of rock you will add I would cycle them first.
 
I've added new rock a few times and saw no issues. It wasn't much though, less then 10% of what was in there in the first place. You can rinse it with water from water changes to get rid of the dust first.
 
So I want to add some more rock to my tank to have more space for acro placement, but I don’t want to cause any chemistry issues.

Should I cycle the rocks in a separate tub with saltwater for awhile before adding? I don’t want to spike Po4. And I’ll use dry rock because I don’t want to get hitchhikers like mantis shrimp.

Can anyone share their experiences doing this?
Adding new dry clean rock will not cause any issues.
Get it from a trusted source so you know it's clean.
 
If the new dry rock pieces were in a system with higher phosphate, or worse, dug out of the ground, expect them to grow some algae on themselves for a while.


Phosphate flow out of rock

Many people, when they finally get very low nutrients for the first time, worry when more (not less) algae starts to grow on their rocks. It seems really strange, especially when nitrate and phosphate tests have been lower than before. What is happening is that phosphate is coming out of the rocks. Remember, phosphate is invisible, so you can only see the effects of it, and it always "flows" from higher concentrations to lower concentrations (just like heat does).

Example: If your room is warm, and you put a cold object on the floor, heat from the air in the room will "flow" into the object until the object and the air are the same temperature. Example 2: If you put a hot object on the floor, heat will "flow" out of the object and go into the air in the room, again, until the air and the object are the same temperature. Now suppose you open your windows (in the winter). The warm air in your room will go out the windows, and it will get colder in the room. The object on the floor is now warmer than the air, so heat will flow out of the object and into the air, and then out the window.

Think of phosphate as the heat, and your rocks as the object. As you filter out phosphate from the water, the phosphate level in the water drops. Now, since the phosphate level in the water is lower than the phosphate level in the rocks, phosphate flows from the rocks into the water, and then from the water into your filter. This continues until the phosphate levels in the rocks and water are level again. And remember, you can't see this invisible flow. It's like a fast flowing, but shallow, river. And it can be much more phosphate than how much you are feeding each day.

This flow causes an interesting thing to happen. As the phosphate comes out of the rocks, it then becomes available to feed algae as soon as the phosphate reaches the surface of the rocks where there is light. So, since the surface of the rocks is rough and has light, it starts growing MORE algae there (not less) as the phosphate comes out of the rocks. This is a pretty amazing thing to see for the first time, because if you did not know what was happening you would probably think that your filters are not working. Here are the signs of phosphate coming out of the rocks:

1. The rocks are older, and have slowly developed algae problems in the past year.

2. Your filtering is new, maybe only a few months old.

3. Nitrate and phosphate measurements in the water are low, usually the lowest they have been in a long time.

4. Green hair algae (not brown) on the rocks has increased in certain spots, usually on corners and protrusions at the top.

5. The glass has not needed cleaning as much.


Most people have never seen the effects of large amounts of phosphate coming out of the rocks quickly. But sure enough, it can. How long does it continue? For 2 months to 6 months, depending on how much phosphate is in the rocks, how strong your filtering is, and how many other phosphate-removing filters you have (GFO, carbon dosing, etc). But one day you will see patches of white rock that were covered in green hair the day before; this is a sure sign that the algae are losing their phosphate supply from the rocks and can no longer hold on. Now it's just a matter of days before the rocks are clear.
 
I've had quite a bit of algae grow on new dry rock added. I would sump them for a while if possible.
😉
PXL_20260722_133136954.jpg
 
I've had quite a bit of algae grow on new dry rock added. I would sump them for a while if possible.
😉
PXL_20260722_133136954.jpg
This is a good idea! Honestly, if I had a sump, this is what I would have done!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new